Background Information - Myanmar
Background Information – Asia Regional Health Cluster
The Asia Regional Health Cluster (ARHC) was established in 2018 for efficient delivery of grants and funds management, and the provision of quality pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. The ARHC aims to significantly impact the targets of UN Sustainable Development Goal #3 on good health and well being by expanding the population benefitting from UNOPS-managed health-related engagements across the Asia Region.
The ARHC portfolio manages the Principal Recipient (PR) Programme of the Global Fund in Asia. The Global Fund, which has been providing financial support to the Greater Mekong Sub-Region for malaria programs since 2003, has selected UNOPS as a PR, responsible for delivering the targets set out in the grant agreements, in collaboration with selected Sub-Recipients (SRs) from the National Programmes, international and local non-governmental organizations and United Nations agencies.
Background Information - Job-specific
In February 2009, MMOC was selected by the Myanmar Country Coordination Mechanism for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) as one of two Principal Recipients of GFATM grants for Myanmar. The implementation of the grants commenced in January 2011.
In November 2016, The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria approved the funding allocations for Myanmar for the period 2017 – 2020. As the Principal Recipient of GFATM grants for Myanmar. The implementation of the grant commenced in January 2018. UNOPS is the Principal Recipient managing the HIV grant (2018-2020), established by Global Fund in 2018, providing USD154million for TB and HIV activities in Myanmar (2018-2020) and USD242million for malaria elimination activities in the Greater Mekong Sub region.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Senior Programme, M&E and Health Systems Specialist and the direct supervision of the Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist, the Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist - Data Management shall be responsible for performing the following duties:
M&E and Database management
- Develop and maintain updated and effective M&E database system for actions supported by the PR-GFATM
- Maintain the information management platforms for the PR-GFATM and provide ongoing systems support; tracking activity completion Reports, PR documents, tools and databases, and trip reports in collaboration with Budgeting and Planning Officer,
- Ensure accurate and timely input of project information in the computerized database system and issue status reports for M&E Purposes;
- Collect and assemble data related to programs/projects and provide updated information for analysis and report purposes;
- Act as focal person for preparation of the PR-GFATM M and E dashboards and maintenance of the PR library (maintenance of PR document archives).
- Maintain a complete reporting system for generation of various reports from the M&E database system;
- Liaise with the PR team regarding the SRs’ progress reports and update (PU) and other data related to M&E; to ensure timely submission of progress reports
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the national M&E system and participate in meetings related to strengthening data and management systems for the National Programmes and MOH as a whole.
- Maintain strategic overview of M & E data management in Myanmar,
- Explore opportunities for improvement to, and/or expansion of existing initiatives, and/or other initiatives in controlling M & E data ;
- Advice Public Health Programme Officers and M and E officers on M & E data related issues;
- Ensure high quality, accessible data and information about the thematic programmes is available for internal (PR reporting) and external audiences/stakeholders (including donors and subrecipients);
- Maintain a sense of ethics and integrity in dealing with clients and service providers and demonstrate ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counter parts and clients.
- Select and design approaches for managing information and knowledge including support to staff in relation to PR M&E and Information Management Systems.
- Design a suitable small scale M&E database system for each SRs as necessary;
- Design forms – paper-based or electronic- for data/status tracking;
Data Quality assurance
- Ensure accurate and timely M&E data entry operations and that data are readily available as appropriate to the stakeholders and ensure that the data in the M&E System is accurate and regularly updated;
- Reporting data verification and timely entry of data into the M&E database management system;
- Develop an alert system, so that the M&E Unit is alerted at different stages, for example-missing data, delay in progress against plan etc.;
- Communicate the problems pointed out in SR’s progress reports and any other data related to M&E for the grant;
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Advise SRs supported by the fund on their own internal M&E and data management Systems/needs;
- Provide technical assistance to SRs as necessary to ensure participation in the M&E process and adequate flow of information and data;
- Conduct trainings for the SRs to maintain and operate the M&E database management systems developed;
- Support the Communications staff in updating the PR web page with data and information.
- A Master’s Degree preferably in the field of Information Technology and Management Information Systems, Software Engineering Public Health, Epidemiology and Social Science or other related fields relevant to the above duties is required.
- Training in Public Health, Epidemiology and Social Science would be an asset..
- A Bachelor degree with additional two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s Degree
- Minimum 2 years (or more depending on academic credentials) of progressive and relevant experience in management information systems and development of databases and local/web interfaces is required..
- Experience in M & E of health projects, including qualitative and participatory methodologies is an asset.
- Experience in developing professional data structures for project management systems is an advantage.
- Previous successful involvement with and a good knowledge of Public Sector, UN and NGOs and civil society is an advantage.
- Prior experience working with donors/ multi-donor funds required.
- Willingness to undertake field visits in difficult conditions.
- Sound knowledge of UNOPS regulations and rules is an asset.
- Experience using G-Suite is an advantage
- Fluency in English and Myanmar is essential (Must be able to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms)
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: LICA
Contract level: Local ICA Specialist - 9
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.