Imagine a world that you deploy on a Friday afternoon and then go do whatever it is you normally do (in our case is usually having a beer or 2 with our colleagues) without stress. That's the world we want to live in. And of course we are not talking about shipping on Fridays for the sake of it. We are talking about shipping with confidence in general, even if it has to be a Friday :P
We are investing more and more in Quality Engineering (QE) here at Pleo. Recently, we improved our mobile test automation framework to enable developers to mock the state of the app so they can test all the crazy edge cases with ease and reliably. Now also, we're building the tools to track the metrics that will help measure the quality of our products, allowing us to make better data-driven decisions, such as, deciding where our "Quality Assistance" skills can make the most impact in the Engineering organization.
That is just a sneak peek on what is keeping us busy these days, there is more to it, like developing an integration test framework for our distributed microservices backend, but let's leave some things for our chat ;)
Now that we have set up the stage, let's talk a bit about you and this role. As a Quality Engineering Lead, you will work closely with other Pleo teams to understand the product vision, roadmap, and quality pain points to develop appropriate test initiatives to ensure that we are able to continue to ship high-quality products as quickly and frictionlessly as possible. You will be defining, evolving, and communicating the QE team’s technical vision, mission and strategy, guiding the team, and removing obstacles from their way. In a sense, you will act as a "Quality Ambassador" always pushing our organization to be at the forefront of testing practices while driving a quality-first approach to software development and delivery.
As a manager, we'd expect that you lead with compassion and kindness when someone makes mistakes and take the time to encourage good habits. You will be responsible for growing a healthy and high-performing team of Software Engineers in Test (SETs) and Quality Engineers (QEs) by establishing strong engineering practices and by cultivating an environment where they are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging. You lead via meaningful debates with teams and close working ties with all Engineering Leads. You delegate and coach diligently often so that your team grow along with Pleo and strive for mastery in their work.
If you've been nodding with excitement while reading all these, we'd like to meet you :)
The hard skills needed:
- Prior to your technical leadership experience, you have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer, ideally with broad experience or specialised in testing by building test automation solutions, metric systems, or improving testing effectiveness.
- Web, Mobile and Backend test automated frameworks expertise.
- Deep understanding and hands-on experience building and optimising CI/CD software pipelines.
- Metrics - Defined and implemented measurements to determine test effectiveness, testing efficiency, and measure the overall quality of the Product.
- Observability & Monitoring of complex distributed software systems (we use DataDog for it).
- Excellent hands-on programming knowledge in at least one, preferably several, different modern languages (e.g. Typescript, Kotlin, Java).
You will thrive in this role if you:
- Have successfully lead a remote and distributed software team in the past, while contributing technically yourself, from architecture definition to solution delivery.
- You enjoy modern DevOps and working with containerized systems (Docker & Kubernetes), and to that end, you understand how to build reliable infrastructure and transition systems from development -> testing -> production.
- You have relevant experience from working in the fintech/card/open banking spaces.
- Are passionate about helping growing engineering teams and making others better.
- Think creatively and are able to come up with solid technical solutions to novel ideas & challenges which rise from an engineering team as it scales.
- Enjoy working very closely with business stakeholders and reason about your decisions with both technology and business always in mind.
Your colleagues say about you:
- Have a solid track in Software Engineering.
- You build tools which enable others to build better and faster.
- Are the go-to person for software quality and testing questions.
- Are always eager to deliver. You like to get things out and test your ideas/solutions rather than fiddling around with minor details until you have something perfect.
- Challenge the status quo, and give good arguments why.
- Are easy to work with and a person they would also enjoy having a coffee with (virtual or not).
- Listen to feedback but is strong enough to drive your own vision.
Your mom says that you:
- Liked to take things apart to see how they work (be it watches / computers / you name it).
- You always ask why.
- Played with Lego as a kid and built things.
- Always come up with the most efficient route to do your errands.
- You know way too much about everything.
- Take on challenges happily.
- Probably work in IT (moms).
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending)
- Ability to work remotely (anywhere between east coast of the Americas to European timezones)...
- ...or onsite if you want to (Copenhagen, London, Berlin, Stockholm, Madrid)
- Quarterly trips to somewhere for team camps (both company-wide ones and team-specific ones). The last one was in Northern Ireland last December.
- Investment in learning & developing (just check with your team for what's reasonable, we don't have set budgets).
And here are some other nice gestures that we do
- Catered lunch in our HQ and London offices when you're here
- 25 days holidays (annual)
- Loads of weird and wonderful niche communities to join in the company (we're talking guerrilla gardening, liquids tasting, the Pleo band, learning to code initiatives, beer brewing, skiing, that type of thing)
- Wild enthusiasm and encouragement from us if you want to host MeetUps, events, etc - we'll help (venue, food etc)
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. This world deserves the best out of trust, autonomy, automation, and empowerment.
Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote set up possible, and will fly you in once a quarter for team camps.
Sometimes, we write about things we care about
Check out what we think about the realities of working remotely are here
And a sneak peek into what happens when get together for Pleo Team Camp ?
No one says it quite like our customers. Hear what they have to say this week on Trustpilot here: