When people ask your native language, does your brain go to Swift, Java or Kotlin? Were you excited to play with hot reload in React Native instead of recompiling your builds? If so, you're probably a unicorn and in the right job post!
We are looking for mobile engineers to join us - but I guess we’ve established that already since you somehow found your way here, right?
So the next natural question would be: “iOS or Android?”
The answer is... “Yes, plus React Native”
You could be really strong in just one platform, you could be comfortable in either– both are fine as long as you are strong in React Native as well. Our future needs make room for people with diverse skill sets. If you enjoy building strong core foundations but also get excited with creating awesome new features and playing with push notifications, then you are still in the right place.
Who are we?
We are a Danish fintech startup -well, not that much of a startup anymore, but our values are deeply and strongly shaped around that. That being said, we believe in flat hierarchy and bottom-up decision making: from being around our offices, to the team meetings and our vocal slack community, working with us you will find a place where every voice is heard, where people spar their ideas and are not afraid to ask questions and improve themselves and others. We listen to each other and adapt accordingly.
So if you are excited about collaborations, framework discussions, plugins & IDE’s, ways of coding, languages, conferences, news, nerdy memes and teaching non-tech people how to code, keep reading. But also remember, while bringing your perspective and diversity, you must also leave their ego by the door.
We believe in autonomy, trust and support, shaping our teams with Remote-first mindset being able to work efficiently through CEST and EST time zones. From virtual coffees, to remote friendly meeting setups and thorough documentation, you can feel the beat and energy that flows in our offices.
You would be producing simple and functional products, working with the latest (and greatest!) tools and tech, improving yourself and others through a dynamic and passionate team-working environment.
What we do:
What we try to do is change the workspaces of tomorrow (you know, the space that most adults spend most of their time). We think the way that most of us still work today is outdated; we think that it can be better. Here at Pleo we work on painful problems that we see today and try to solve them with a touch of magic.
Our angle to do this is through company spending; we’ve build a product that gives trust and autonomy to all employees: everyone gets a company card and spends company money responsibly. No expense reports. No time wasted. Decentralisation of decision making. Delegation through ownership. That's our focus.
We can't be hypocrites with a product doing one thing and then internally doing another: so the future workplace permeates through the way we work. We certainly aren't perfect, and we're not striving for perfection. Instead, we're striving to be pioneers: we want our product to change workspaces, and so our own workspace is a place of constant change.
We've tried to make applying as efficient as possible. Just pop your GitHub/ LinkedIn, write a quick Hi! and tell us your why for applying, and you're done. (CV is appreciated but not required)
The nitty gritty skills needed
- Knowing your way around either iOS (Swift and Xcode) or Android (Android Studio - Java / Kotlin)
- You're strong in React Native and it is a weapon of choice
- You're used to testing and monitoring your own solutions (sloppiness leads to downtime and downtime leads to :sad-parrot:)
- Enjoy communication and collaboration
We'll geek out if you
- Use stuff like Dagger, Rx, AndroidX, SwiftUI, ReactJS, Flux, Redux, GraphQL
- Have experience in CI/CD tools: Fastlane, Github Actions, Travis, CircleCI
- Know your way around any testing tools: Jest, Detox, Espresso, XCUITest, Appium
Your mom says that you
- Work in IT (moms!)
- Asks you to fix her phone because you "are good with these kind of stuff"
- Have an eye for detail
- Make her proud (a mom-style must!)
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending)
- Ability to work remotely (anywhere between east coast of the Americas to European timezones)...
- ...or onsite if you want to (Copenhagen, London, Berlin or Stockholm)
- Flexible working remote options for those onsite (just speak to your team)
- Quarterly trips to somewhere for team camps (both company-wide ones and team-specific ones). Last one was in Berlin in June. Supergeil!
- Investment in learning & developing (just check with your team for what's reasonable, we don't have set budgets)
And here are some other nice gestures that we do
- Catered lunch in our HQ and London offices
- 25 days holidays (annual)
- Loads of weird and wonderful niche communities to join in the company (we're talking guerrilla gardening, liquids tasting, the Pleo band, learning to code initiatives, Pleo dinners, board games, that type of thing)
- Wild enthusiasm and encouragement from us if you want to host MeetUps, events, etc - we'll help (venue, food etc)
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending.
Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote set up possible, and will fly you in once a quarter for team camps!
Sometimes, people write nice things about us
No one says it quite like our customers. Hear what they have to say this week on Trustpilot here:
Check out what we think thee realities of working remote are here
Check out our open challenge that we use for this position & in our interview process to get an idea of our working style here (thanks Diego!)
And a sneak peek into what happens when get together for Pleo Team Camp ?