Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Upwork creates economic opportunities so that people have better lives. As a world-class two-sided marketplace, our goal is to attract the world’s best talent and clients, and to make Upwork a fabulous and easy place to connect and work. As a Senior User Experience Researcher on the team, you'll collaborate with design, product, engineering and analytics to create high-quality user experiences for clients interested in working with teams of freelancers, and for teams of freelancers and agencies to take their businesses to the next level. Your research findings will inform business, product, and design decisions. You will deeply affect products and features that help millions of users collaborate with distributed teams and manage their Upwork activities in the office and ‘on the go’ through mobile applications.
- Be a core member of the Product team, ensuring User Research helps us meet our strategic business and user experience goals. You get to identify and execute on research opportunities.
- Be responsible for conducting the right research, using the right methodologies, in the right time.
- Conduct strategic to tactical research -- from foundational research to refine our understanding of personas and use cases, all the way to concept and usability testing. Employ a range of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Own the end-to-end planning and execution of research studies.
- Study our diverse global user-base, crafting studies to test designs remotely and in different cultural contexts.
- Lead and participate in Design Thinking workshops, ensuring teams are ideating with a background in user empathy.
- Translate customer insights into actionable recommendations. Communicate insights within the product and engineering teams in a format that inspires action.
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports, in-person presentations, or facilitation of co-synthesis and design thinking workshops.
- Hire and manage freelance researchers if deemed needed.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- You have over 5 years of experience doing User Research.
- You have experience guiding teams toward focusing on the most important research questions to answer, and creating mixed-method research plans for answering them.
- You have worked with teams to create useful, research-backed foundational UX documents (e.g Journey Maps, Personas, etc).
- You can visualize research insights in ways that go beyond “bullet points," but know when to deliver just bullet points.
- You are an influencer. You are an executor too.
How to really knock our socks off:
- You are always thinking “What should we learn”, ensuring that we answer the “not yet articulated” questions.
- You have a story or two about a research method that went beyond interviews, concept validation, and usability testing to creatively answer a question.
- You have a story or two about how design research can fail.
- You are comfortable leading Design Thinking workshops. You have a track record of effectively collaborating with distributed remote teams.
- You have defined, deployed, monitored, and revised UX metrics.
- You have experience working closely with analytics or data science teams, generating "thick data."
About our team:
- Our executive leaders believe in the value that user research and design thinking can bring to a data driven culture.
- We have one of the best researcher to designer ratios in the industry (1:4, sometimes 1:2).
- We thrive on self-starters, there is no micromanagement around here.
- We are distributed. Ability to collaborate remotely is key, and we value strong communication skills.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.