FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Social Mobilization Officer (SMO) in Lashio.
Description : FHI 360 seeks a Social Mobilization Officer (SMO) in Lashio for the USAID Agriculture and Food-Systems Development Activity (AFDA) that aims to increase economic interdependence and interest across ethnic groups in Burma through the development of agriculture and food systems. The SMO will oversee interethnic community mobilization activities to promote increased social cohesion for agriculture-related local economic development (LED). The SMO will work in close cooperation with local communities, private sector, civil society, implementing partners, stakeholders, USAID and other donors operating in the country. The SMO will also work closely with the project’s community development and other technical specialists. This position will be based in Lashio.
- Map local systems and stakeholders that relate to the selected agricultural value chains
- Conduct community consultations to facilitate mutual benefits between the community and private sector partners and to provide each private sector partner with a customized Do No Harm (DNH) Action Plan
- Coordinate at the village and township level to ensure the equitable participation of multiple agricultural stakeholder groups, diverse ethnic groups, women, youth, and people with disabilities in AFDA activities
- Identify and collaborate with various stakeholders to support inclusive business initiatives
- Coordinate logistics for convenings including meeting space and refreshments
- Organize and facilitate meetings and community consultations
- Support the identification and formation of farmers groups and engage with the farmers groups on an ongoing basis
- Conduct focus group discussions to pilot test social behavior changes messages
- Support the dissemination of social behavior change messages in Lashio
- Work closely with youth organizations to support youth engagement within select value chains
- Coordinate with Regional Field team on a regular basis to discuss operations, participate in regular planning processes, field reporting and contribute to knowledge management.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with diverse agricultural stakeholders in Lashio including women’s and youth organizations, private sector, and civil society.
- Previous experience in community engagement and facilitation skills
- Proven ability to work across various ethnic groups and stakeholders and develop cooperative action
- Previous experience working in conflict affected or sensitive communities to develop initiatives designed to promote cooperation and collaboration.
- Proven ability to organize groups and mobilize diverse participants
- Strong public speaking and presenting skills
- Proven ability to motivate participants and to promote active participation and dialogue in meetings
- Written and oral proficiency in Burmese required. Proficiency in English and other ethnic languages are also highly desirable.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package , professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.