The Myanmar Council of Churches has an Accountant II vacancy for its Holistic Child Development Project.
The Holistic Child Development Project is a Christian ministry, dedicated to addressing the needs of children in poverty. We advocate for the poor, ministering to their needs and act on their behalf. We are currently seeking a person as detailed below : Mature Christian person, based on evangelical Christian values, with a vision and passion for children mission.
This role will maintain the organization’s general ledger within their assigned area of responsibility. She or he works closely with clients across the organization to answer financial questions and provide advice on proper accounting. This role is a key contributor to the preparation of financial statements and develops new reports in response to ongoing business needs, using GAAP, internal financial systems, and other accounting standards to conduct accounting research and analysis, review and interpret historical transactional activity, and take a key role in month-end and year-end close processes, to include preparation or review of account reconciliations. At this career level, the Accountant II generally works independently on moderately complex accounting projects and processes or as a member of larger teams.
- Acts as an advocate for children. Understands and advances Christ's mandate to protect children. Raises awareness of the needs of children and takes active steps to help protect against neglect, abuse, and exploitation of children. Promotes the dignity, respect, positive treatment, potential of children in all circumstances. Encourages the involvement of others in helping children in need. Reports and appropriately supports responses to incidents of harm of children if they occur.
- Uses discretion and ingenuity to serve internal customers by answering financial reporting questions, giving insight into accounting principles, advising on proper recording of transactions, informing others of financial policies and procedures, as well as regular problem solving on basic accounting and finance issues.
- Serves as a experienced resource on the organization's financial general ledger system, including the chart of accounts, functional allocation, fund balances, segments and other attributes of the system.
- Maintains monthly/annual financial close processes through preparation and/or review of key journal entries and account reconciliations, identifying and correcting errors as needed and occasionally providing analysis.
- May prepare and distribute financial statement reports and provide additional information related to reports for appropriate actions and decision-making.
- May provide expertise to other professionals and support staff in the accounting discipline.
- Has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, or related discipline.
- 3+ years in professional experience working in accounting, finance, or a similar field.
- Advanced reading, writing and speaking English and Burmese, any other ethnic language is a plus.
*** Equivalent education, training and/or certification may be substituted for experience and education shown above ***
Working Environment: Office – Standard Office Environment
Physical Demands: Sitting, standing, and/or walking for up to 8 hours per day
Travel Requirements: May be required to travel up to 10% of normal schedule