This Backend Manager, Engineering for our Gitaly group is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Backend Manager, Engineering in our Gitaly group , you'll manage a team of ~8 Backend Engineers who are working on a business-critical I/O system where high-availability in production is crucial.
Gitaly is the service responsible for the storage and maintenance of all Git repositories in GitLab. Gitaly is the service responsible for the storage and maintenance of all Git repositories in GitLab. Because the majority of GitLab's capabilities depend on the information stored in Git repositories, performance and availability are of primary importance.
Gitaly has been built to scale from small single server GitLab instances, to large high availability architectures. The release of Gitaly Cluster is a major achievement in improving fault tolerance and performance, and is the foundation on which we are continuing to iterate to improve Gitaly for large instances.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication . You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What You'll Do In This Role
You should apply if you bring:
- Manage a team of Backend Engineers who all contribute to the overall direction of Gitaly .
- Lead a team who are building Failover Clustering systems in Golang
- Help your engineers grow their skills and experience
- Author project plans for epics
- Run agile project management processes. We work iteratively and release monthly .
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, conducting code reviews, or working on non-critical path bugs and/or features.
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Conduct managerial interviews for candidates, and train the team to do technical interviews
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Hold regular 1:1s with all members of their team
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual's performance
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
- Experience as an Engineer in a team or managing a team who are running high availability I/O production services and/or Failover Clustering Systems
- Experience as an Engineer in a team or managing a team who are working in Golang. We don't need a Go expert. However, it's important you're able to discuss technical rationale and reasoning with your direct reports.
- Knowledge of Git
- An ability to operate within our view on leadership
- Exquisite brokering skills: you'll need to regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values , and work in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap . You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Backend Manager, Engineering position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our levelling structure can be found on our job family page .