Crossover is the world's #1 source of remote full-time jobs. Our clients offer top-tier pay for top-tier talent. We're recruiting this role for our client, Engine Yard. Have you got what it takes?
EngineYard’s evolution is interwoven with the birth and growth of Rails. For over a decade, EngineYard has been at the forefront of technical innovation, helping the Ruby and Rails community multiply - whether enabling Github to run and scale in its early days or providing thousands of app an easy mechanism for leveraging cloud services.
At EngineYard, we are working towards the next big wave of innovation - ARM processors. The computing world is undergoing a shift towards ARM processors, and EngineYard is at the forefront of bringing ARM-based solutions to the Ruby community. We at EngineYard are on a mission to make deploying and managing applications easier and faster by moving to ARM-based Graviton processors.
As a C/C++ expert who loves hands-on coding, you’ll join a team focused on making the world of open-source libraries ARM compatible. You will contribute to non-ARM compatible open source projects to make them compatible. Your efforts will enable thousands of application developers to leverage ARM-based computing for significantly better performance at a much lower cost.
What You Will Be Doing
Your end goal is to enable all Engine Yard customers to take advantage of the latest generation of our platform that uses Graviton processors to provide better performance at lower cost and energy consumption. You’ll do this by:
- Discovering the open-source libraries in use on the platform
- Creating the Makefile and code changes required to recompile for ARM processors
- Writing high-quality code and well-crafted PullRequests that make it simple for the open-source community to accept your code changes
- Publishing new versions of Ruby Gems that Engine Yard customers can configure into their applications
In the process, you’ll also find opportunities to improve the core Engine Yard platform and make code and infrastructure changes that result in a more resilient and performant platform.What You Won’t Be Doing
You won’t be wasting your time in meetings or on extraneous processes. Instead, you’ll spend almost all your time engineering and writing code!C++ Software Engineer key responsibilities
You will take on x86-compatible libraries and:
- Examine complex build scripts to understand architecture dependencies and builds
- Edit the build scripts to transpile/compile ARM-compatible versions of the library
- Run tests
- Create a pull request as per submission guidelines of the project
- Communicate with the owners of the open-source projects as needed to help get the pull request merged
About Engine Yard
- Computer science degree or at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Expert level C/C++ coding skills
- Background in systems programming (e.g., experience with transpilation, Kernel level programming, driver development, compilers, low-level C/C++ development)
- Proven problem-solving ability
- Advanced spoken English proficiency
This is an opportunity to work on building a new brand in developer tools that will shape the future of software development. You will be working with an exceptional team to help scale a fast-paced new business. Every technology you work with will be leading edge and innovative. Developers, engineers, product managers, business analysts, quality assurance analysts and customer and production support personnel work closely with one another to build our next-generation platform. You will have the opportunity to work independently on challenging compound problems as well as collaborate with other team members to solve major goals.
There is so much to cover for this exciting role, and space here is limited. Hit the Apply button if you found this interesting and want to learn more. We look forward to meeting you!What to expect next:
- You will receive an email with a link to start your self-paced, online job application.
- Our hiring platform will guide you through a series of online “screening” assessments to check for basic job fit, job-related skills, and finally a few real-world job-specific assignments.
- You will be paired up with one of our recruiting specialists who can answer questions you might have about the process, role, or company, and help you get to the final interview step.
If you do not receive an email from us:
- First, emails may take up to 15 minutes to send, refresh and check again.
- Second, check your spam and junk folders for an email from Crossover.com, mark as “Not Spam” since you will receive other emails as well.
- Third, we will send to whatever email account you indicated on the Apply form - by default, that is the email address you use as your LinkedIn username and it might be different than the one you have already checked.
- If all else fails, just reset your password by visiting https://www.crossover.com/auth/reset-password if you already applied using LinkedIn EasyApply.
Crossover Job Code: LJ-4497-PH-IVACalab-SoftwareEngine