The Livelihoods and Food Security Fund (LIFT) is a multi-donor fund set up in 2009, having recently marked its ten-year anniversary. LIFT aims to strengthen the resilience and sustainable livelihoods of poor households by helping people to reach their full economic potential. This is achieved through increasing incomes, improving the nutrition of women and children, and decreasing vulnerabilities to shocks, stresses and adverse trends.
LIFT is a significant actor in Myanmar’s development. To date, over 11.6 million people in 75 per cent of Myanmar’s townships have benefitted from LIFT’s programmes. For 2019-2023, the third strategic phase of the fund, LIFT’s four thematic areas are Agriculture, Markets and Food Systems; Financial Inclusion; Decent Work and Labour Mobility; and Nutrition. LIFT is guided by a five-year strategy that puts ‘leaving no one behind’ at the centre of its work, and will in particular focus on social inclusion and cohesion, increased support to areas affected by conflict, bringing displaced people into LIFT’s development programmes and working with Government at all levels on targeted policies that achieve gains in these areas.
LIFT has received funding from 15 donors since it was established. The current donors are the UK, the EU, Australia, Switzerland, the USA, Canada and Ireland.
The incumbent will be required to abide by the security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and those of UNOPS.
Under the overall guidance of the Communications Specialist and direct supervision of the Communications Analyst, the Communications Associate will work in the LIFT Communications Team and his/her functions will consist of various communications tasks and projects, especially on design, content development and communications related procurement, administration and event management.
The functions will consist of the following:
Creative content production
- Support the layout and creative design of communications products such as reports, flyers and infographics
- Assist in the visualisation of communication products, e.g. video making, editing, short animations, etc.
- Support the production and uploading of clear, concise, vivid, and dynamic digital content for e-newsletters, websites and social media channels in English and Myanmar languages.
- Prepare communication materials (e.g. factsheets, brochures, posters, presentations) for meetings, workshops, seminars, briefings and other events
- Lead the production of printed and offline/online audio-visual materials, as well as visibility items (e.g. T-shirts, ball pens, notebooks, banners etc.)
- Support the monitoring of the success and efficacy of communication activities.
Administration and procurement:
- Lead the process to improve the efficiency, planning and responsiveness of the administrative and procurement activities of the LIFT Communications Unit
- Help make LIFT’s communications activities more environmentally friendly by developing a green procurement checklist and monitoring suppliers
- Lead communications-related procurement activities, in liaison with the Procurement Unit, by sourcing suppliers, assisting in the preparation of terms of reference, preparing requisitions/purchase orders and following up until
- product/service delivery, including quality control of every item/service provided (e.g. poster or brochure printing, visibility items, video services, etc.).
- Manage appropriate logistics arrangements for meetings or events (e.g. venue, refreshments, projectors, microphones, computers, transportation, etc.)
- Handle travel and accommodation arrangements and required travel and security authorisations for the LIFT Communications Unit.
- Handle payments for all activities mentioned above, through the UNOPS procurement management systems and by following internal standard operating procedures, also liaising with the Procurement and Finance Units.
- Assist in maintaining an efficient electronic and hard-copy filing system for the LIFT Communications Unit.
- Maintain an inventory of visibility items,, using it to guide procurement activities alongside strong planning.
- Support the distribution of LIFT reports/visibility items to the donors, ministries, implementing partners and other stakeholders.
- Event management and media liaison:
- Maintain an up-to-date media and journalist database
- Design and lead LIFT visibility at events related to international days
- Represent the LIFT and UNOPS on booths at promotional events
- Participate in media field visits organised by LIFT and UNOPS-managed funds or the Programme Management Office if required
- Other duties as required.
- Monitoring and Progress Controls
Under the overall supervision of the LIFT Communications Specialist and the direct supervision of the Communications Analyst, in accordance with UNOPS policies, procedures and practices, the Communications Associate will work closely with the UNOPS Myanmar team in the area of communications.
- Secondary education is required. Bachelor’s degree would be an advantage.
- Diploma, bachelor’s degree or high school certificate with certification in communications (Media Studies, Journalism, Political Science, or International Relations) is an asset.
- At least six years of cumulative experience in the area of communications, operations, and office management, preferably with an international organization (or) A first level/bachelors degree may be accepted in lieu of some of the required years of experience.
- Previous experience managing suppliers (i.e. commercial printers), organising events and travels are an asset.
- Documented experience in creating and distributing e-newsletters and/or producing content for websites and social media in English and Myanmar is an asset.
- Documented translating experience is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office Package is required. Knowledge of Gsuites is highly desirable.
- Knowledge oneUNOPS and UN Procurement Procedures is an asset.
- Documented experience working with graphic design software (Adobe creative suite) is an advantage.
Fluency in both English and Myanmar is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: LICA 6/ICS6
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
THIS IS LOCAL POSITION OPEN TO MYANMAR NATIONALS ONLY.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Apply Here - Communications Associate