Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.
Consultant for Study on Fertilizers and Plant Protection Access in Maize, Myanmar
ACDI/VOCA is seeking an Consultant for Study on Fertilizers and Plant Protection Access in Maize for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region.
AFDA will address critical constraints affecting the availability of quality and affordable fertilizers and plant protection products for maize production. AFDA will also perform a comparative analysis of successful business and supply chain models of Myanmar’s competitor countries, as well as pilot innovative technologies and business models in order to increase the availability of high-quality fertilizers and plant protection products for the maize sector.
The consultant will analyze the domestic supply chains for maize specific fertilizer and plant protection products in order to identify the main constraints limiting their availability on the market. The STTA will also investigate Myanmar’s main competitor countries in order to identify successful business and supply chain models in the region. The STTA will recommend business models and innovative approaches to improve the agrochemical products supply chain, distribution and financing schemes.
The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is September 2020 through November 2020 with up to 20 days of effort. The primary location is Yangon, Myanmar.
- Provide information on maize requirements for fertilizers and plant protection products to achieve competitive yields, including information on economically important pests and diseases of maize.
- Comparative analysis with major competitor countries on yields, cost of production of maize and availability, usage, distribution, promotion, and financing models of fertilizers and plant protection products for maize.
- Recommend proven (from more advanced competitors) as well as innovative approaches to expanding availability, access and usage of fertilizers and plant protection products for Myanmar corn producers to increase their production, productivity and competitiveness and capacity to supply local feed millers.
- Inception report with detailed workplan and information as specified above
- PowerPoint presentation on comparative analysis
- Draft final report incorporating comments during the presentation
- BS and Master’s degree in Agriculture or related area
- At least 10 years’ experience implementing research, including qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- Familiarity with of fertilizers and agrochemical supply chains
- Experience working in marketing and sales of agrochemicals, preferably in maize
- Knowledge of Myanmar’s agricultural and agrochemical sectors.
- Familiarity with good agricultural practices (GAP) and agronomic requirements for optimal production of maize
- Excellent spoken and written English
Interested consultant should submit the following to [email protected] by 17th September 2020:
- CV specifically responding to required qualifications
- Two sample reports from similar assignment
- Two references from previous employers/contracting organization
- Cost proposal - to include the professional fees, per diem and other anticipated costs
Please include the position title in the subject line. The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work. Please highlight results of work done relevant to this scope of work.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone or email. Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.