Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.
Consultant for Comparative Analysis of Financial Sectors of Myanmar’s Key Competitors in SEA, Myanmar
ACDI/VOCA is seeking a Consultant for Comparative Analysis of Financial Sectors of Myanmar’s Key Competitors in SEA for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region.
Myanmar competes with other countries in supplying agricultural products to its trade partners. For Myanmar to grow its exports and effectively carry out import substitution in its domestic market, it has to understand how competition is able to stay ahead. A key factor to achieve comparative advantage is availability of financing to all segments of the value chain and to key actors in the markets systems. AFDA will carry out comparative analysis of financial services and policy support in competitor countries to understand what they are doing really well that allows them to achieve comparative advantage and will focus on learning from these competitors’ successful Agri-lending products, policies and practices. Learning from this study will be shared with actors in the financial sector of Myanmar through sectorial forum or roundtable discussion.
The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is September 2020 to November 2020 with up to 25 days of effort. The primary locations are Yangon and ZOI, SE Asia.
- Assessment of the financial sector of Myanmar’s key agricultural competitors (e.g., Thailand, Vietnam, India and Philippines), including
- Key successes in agricultural lending
- Key successes in investing in agriculture
- Key successes in MSME lending
- ICT innovations in agricultural lending
- Financial products and services offering
- Assessment of each country’s policies regarding agricultural lending, including:
- Key regulations promoting successes in agricultural lending
- Key regulations allowing agricultural MSMEs to access and qualify for financing
- Comparative analysis of the regulatory environment, financial products, services, and business models for the agriculture sector of Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, India, and Myanmar.
- Recommendations on improvements on policies and regulations, products, services and business models to be competitive with more advanced countries in Asia and S.E. Asia
- Roundtable discussion on findings and recommendations
- PowerPoint presentation on assessments listed above
- PowerPoint presentation to stakeholders covering findings and recommendations
- Written final report on specific tasks as listed above
- A University degree in finance, banking, credit, risk management or related field. A Master’s degree in a related field is a plus
- At least 10 years’ international experience in agricultural finance, preferably in a dynamic and developing context.
- Prior focused in-depth experience working with SME and Agriculture funding institutions, including but not limited to banks and other financial services providers;
- Experience in consulting for international development projects preferred, with prior USAID experience a plus
Interested consultant should submit the following to [email protected] by September 17th, 2020:
- CV specifically responding to required qualifications
- Sample report on similar assignment
- At least two references from comparable engagement
- Cost proposal - Professional fee daily rate and other anticipated costs
Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.