Google will be prioritizing applicants who have a current right to work in Singapore, and do not require Google's sponsorship of a visa.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience working with and troubleshooting hardware/network related issues using Linux-based tools.
- Technical experience in network and/or Linux system administration, web, or software development, with experience working in a data center or server room.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs of equipment as required.
- Experience in ownership of issues and execution of small/medium size projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Linux environment and experience as administrator.
- Familiarity with main protocols and common types of devices and data transmission media.
- Understanding of PC hardware, and comfortable in troubleshooting and repairing servers.
- Demonstrated networking knowledge, and comfortable in troubleshooting network issues.
- Ability to self manage and accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
About the jobGoogle isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Technician, you'll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). You'll also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You'll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Install new servers, switches, routers, and other networking gear physically as our Linux cluster grows.
- Help to test and troubleshoot new server/network hardware components.
- Configure and troubleshoot Linux OS-related issues.
- Resolve issues with broken equipment with little-to-no-escalation.
- Cover on-call responsibilities, as needed.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form .