Overview of The Union:
Since our founding as a global scientific organisation in 1920, The Union has drawn from the best evidence and the skills, expertise and reach of our staff, consultants and membership in order to advance solutions to the most pressing public health challenges affecting people living in poverty around the world.
As a scientific organisation, The Union’s approach starts with evidence. We conduct research so that we can know the nature of the challenges we face and their most effective solutions. Through our peer-reviewed journals, our global and regional conferences, and through training courses and technical assistance, we provide platforms for sharing scientific knowledge with stakeholders around the world. And by directly delivering health services and advocating on behalf of those affected by tuberculosis and lung disease, we directly act on the best available scientific knowledge. Know. Share. Act. These principles have driven The Union’s work since its founding. For more information about The Union, please visit www.theunion.org.
Overview of the position:
The Union began its work in Myanmar in 2005 and its activities have steadily grown, both in scope and reach, in direct support of the Ministry of Health and Sport (MoHS). The Union programmes focus on supporting the capacity and capability of the MoHS to provide critical services to patients and communities affected with HIV and Tuberculosis, but also more broadly with communicable, and more recently, non-communicable diseases.
Reporting to Country Director (CD), the Deputy Director (DD) is responsible for leading on the overall operation and impact of The Union’s work in Myanmar. This will include, but is not limited to, programme implementation, donor management, grant management, financial management, reporting, advocacy and communications as well as business development and institutional fundraising. S/he is also responsible for building sustainable relations with partners including the National Government, key Ministries, donors and other stakeholders. A clear overall objective is to raise The Union’s contribution and reputation in Myanmar through professional leadership, technical quality and impact of its work in the country. The DD is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) of The Union Office in Myanmar.
Strategy and Leadership:
- In liaison with the CD and SMT, contribute to the development of a new strategic ambition for The Union.
- Develop resource acquisition and budget plans in line with the strategic objectives and priorities of The Union. Ensuring that the strategic directions, benchmarks, accountabilities and internal controls are established and exercised
- Maintain a strategic overview and in-depth understanding of issues relating to public health in Myanmar
- Provide overall leadership of the operations of The Union, including direct supervision of the finance department and human resources.
- Provide direction, guidance and support to all the other heads of units, including procurement, logistics, communications, administration, IT, warehousing and vehicle fleet.
- Oversees the programme implementation team in the design and development of effective and impactful programmes
- Provide oversight and guidance for programme implementation to ensure that the programmes are implemented to the agreed objectives and outcomes within the available budgets and timeframes
- Ensure that the programme implementation team is providing the requisite guidance to Partners to enable the achievement of program objectives and deliverables
- Ensure timely donor and other reporting
- Participate in programme implementation related meetings with the Government, the donors, other stakeholders and represent the Union as required
- Direct and coordinate all finance related functions, activities, ensuring judicious utilisation of funds, cost optimization, minimization of financial risk, and adherence to budgets
- Periodically review financial statements and results vis- á- vis budgets and forecasts, and ensure proactive management of finances
- Review and ensure monitoring of donor agreements, grants budgets and budget utilisation and ensure that all financial transactions are as per the approved grants budget
- Ensure timely development of quality donor reports
- Provide first-level authorisation and approval for critical deviations/variances from The Union’s financial systems and procedures, if required
Human Resources Development:
- Oversee policies and practice in liaison with Global Human Resources
- In conjunction with the Head of Administration and Operations and the HR Manager, develop practices to enhance human resource operational support
- Ensure a learning and developmental culture is promoted both ‘on the job’ and in more formal learning opportunities
Other Programme Support:
- Oversee and develop as required, efficient and effective support functions that are timely and meet all programme objectives
- Ensure full coordination and collaboration is established with government, the MoHS, the donors and other stakeholders
- Attend and represent The Union at governmental, donor and other stakeholder meetings as needed
- Act as a spokesperson for The Union’s activities within the scope of the programmes and in consultation with the Country Director
- Lead active business development opportunities as well as develop relationships with new/existing donors in Myanmar
- Ensure the development of quality proposals and concept notes
- Minimum Master’s level degree, in a health, protection or a social service related field or a MBA; each with the relevant respective experience
- Demonstrated experience in leadership roles, promoting strategic planning, and careful budget management
- Demonstrated ability to strategically direct and oversee financial management
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience implementing and managing donor-funded projects in low or middle income countries
- Comprehensive knowledge and working experience with grant management for donors such as Global Fund, USAID, DFID, EU and others
- Experience working in an international developmental environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with senior government personnel, NGO partners, host country governments, multinational corporations, donors, international and government organizations
- Strong writing, presentation and reporting skills
- Proficiency with MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel (minimum requirement)
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Cultural sensitivity (ability to adapt to difficult cultures)
- Identifies with The Union’s Vaues (Quality, Accountability, Independence, Solidarity)
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and a cover letter in English, including your salary expectations to [email protected] , with DDM-TU20 in the object line of your email.
This position will be open until a candidate has been selected for the post. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.