GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute .
A Brief Overview
At GitLab, developers are independent and self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and Agile way.
The Ideal Candidate Will Match These GitLab Values
In this role, you will work on our documentation website (docs.gitlab.com) and documentation-related tooling. Our documentation website receives approximately 3.5 million unique pageviews per month. You'll collaborate closely with our team of technical writers, because you'll be the first engineer dedicated to the Technical Writing team.
- Collaboration : Work closely with the Technical Writing and UX Foundations teams to build a website that supports our technical writers while adhering to GitLab style.
- Results , Efficiency : Be a self-sufficient and independent manager of one .
- Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging : Support a global team of writers with diverse skill sets, and help ensure the GitLab documentation website is accessible regardless of ability or platform.
- Iteration : Understand that we do the smallest thing possible and get it out as quickly as possible .
- Transparency : Keep both the Technical Writing and Foundations teams aware and informed of your work by leveraging strong communication skills.
Recent examples of Engineering work done on the Docs project:
- Docs Website beautification
- CSS improvements: [ref 1] , [ref 2] , [ref 3] , [ref 4]
- Improvements to build system and automation: [ref 1] , [ref 2] , [ref 3] , [ref 4] , [ref 5]
- Implementing a new Cookie Banner
Future Topics You Might Be Working On
- Context-sensitive help in GitLab
- Improved search for the docs site
- Versioning improvements for the docs site
- Expanding a developer portal site
Documentation About The Docs Site
- Documentation Site Architecture
- Deployment Process
- Semi-automated tasks executed by the team
- The highest priority will be our docs website
- Perform enhancements to look-and-feel of the published documentation
- Release versioned documentation with semi-automated process
- Manage the build and release process and review environment
- Maintain other documentation-related Docker images and CI/CD pipelines
- Improve documentation-related tooling (for example, Vale and markdownlint)
- For more details, see this issue
- Sincere interest in maintaining and improving the docs website and documentation-related tooling
- Experience maintaining build pipelines in declarative CI systems like GitLab CI
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment
- A solid understanding in core web and browser concepts (for example, how the browser parses and constructs a web page)
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers , and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Self-motivated and self-managing , with great organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Desire to share in our values , and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
Nice to haves
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Experience with static site generators, like nanoc
- Experience maintaining documentation-related tooling
- Background in technical writing or support of a tech writing team
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page .
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law . If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation , please let us know during the recruiting process .