GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute .
Our Contributor Success team is a new team. This team will play a crucial role in achieving the goals set out in "Build on our Open Core strength" in our company strategy . These include increasing both Community & Customer contributions, driving usability improvements through open-source contributions, and increasing the connectedness with our core users. You will lead and manage a team of Full Stack Engineers who are driving the efficiency improvements of our contribution process in this role.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary.
We are committed to your career growth. We have quarterly career development check-ins and ensure time and focus is set aside for learning activities. Additionally, we offer $10k USD per year Growth and Development benefit for those who want to further their growth with professional courses, programs, or conferences.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What You'll Do In This Role
What you'll need to apply
- Hire and manage a team of Fullstack Engineers in our Contributor Success team
- Author project plans for Engineering Contributor Success efforts
- Improve GitLab's Contribution Efficiency and Merge Request Coaching process
- Organize community contributors into Cohorts and ensure their success
- Provide guidance to community contributors on technical and non-technical aspects
- Track contribution delivery of the Community Contributors and Cohorts
- Provide input into awarding impactful community contributors and contribution
- Contribute as an MR Coach in one or more MR Coach speciality (Development, Testing, UX, or others)
- Run agile project management processes
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas
- Collaborate closely with our Developer Relations team and Core team
- Author team quarterly OKRs and drive them to completion
- Review contribution efficiency proposals, delegate and drive them to completion
- Review Contributor Success project plans, delegate and drive them to completion
- Continuously monitor community efficiency metrics and performance indicators
You'll stand out if you bring
- Self-motivated and self-managing , with excellent organizational skills and eyes for quality.
- Share our values , and work in accordance with those values.
- Fluency in using GitLab or other Git-based development platforms.
- Experience as a people manager. We're looking for a seasoned people managers who has hired (and possibly fired), mentored, and grown Engineers reporting directly into them.
- Extensive experience using Git and source control.
- Extensive experience with Open Sourcing or building in the open.
- Track record of contributing to open source projects.
- Computer science education or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency in the English language, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
What are the team's Performance Indicators
- Experience in a peak performance organization
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science
- Notable ties into the Open source community
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
Hiring Process and compensation
- Open Community MR Age (OCMA)
- Community MR Coaches per Month
- Unique Community Contributors per Month
We're aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we're looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
Our hiring process for this Engineering Manager, Contributor Success position typically follows five stages. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Remote-APACCountry Hiring Guidelines:
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law . If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation , please let us know during the recruiting process .