This Fullstack Manager, Engineering for our Editor group is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Fullstack Manager, Engineering in our Editor group , you'll manage a team of Frontend and Backend Engineers who are responsible for many of the foundational editing experiences in GitLab.
The features in our Editor group include our IDE , our Source Code Editor, a WYSIWYG content editor, and our documentation site!
The Editor team has been focused on improving infrastructure efficiency, developer productivity, and career progression throughout this Financial Year as part of Q1 OKRs . These themes will continue to be a focus in Q2.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication . You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What You'll Do In This Role
You should apply if you bring:
- Manage a team of Frontend and Backend Engineers who all contribute to the overall direction of the categories with Editor such as our IDE , Static Site Editor , and Documentation site.
- Help your engineers grow their skills and experience
- Author project plans for epics
- Run agile project management processes. We work iteratively and release monthly .
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of engineering processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, conducting code reviews, or working on non-critical path bugs and/or features.
- Actively seek and hire globally distributed talent
- Conduct managerial interviews for candidates, and train the team to do technical interviews
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Hold regular 1:1s with all members of their team
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual's performance
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft quarterly OKRs and Engineering KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
You'll stand out if you bring experience with
- Experience as a Manager or Individual Contributor in a team who are working with Ruby on Rails or another MVC framework.
- Experience with Git.
- An ability to operate within our view on leadership
- Exquisite brokering skills: you'll need to regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Demonstrated experience as a People Manager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values and work following those values
- Code Editors such as Monaco.
- SQL (Analytics).
- Infrastructure Architecture knowledge - such as an understanding of the relationships between PostgresSQL & Redis.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap . You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Fullstack Manager, Engineering position typically follows four stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page .