We are looking for an exceptional leader motivated to join a leading social business in Myanmar that directly serves farmers. Myanmar’s 6+ million smallholder farming households produce over 90 percent of the country’s food and employ a majority of the country’s rural labor force. Yet farmers remain largely underserved by markets and government services and lack practical farm advisory services, finance and affordable farm technologies to grow their enterprises. This is a unique position for an impact-driven professional who is inspired to transform a key sector and make it more prosperous and sustainable.
The Social Impact Lead will oversee effective evaluations of Proximity’s impact on rural customers, ensuring our products and services are creating significant income gains and increase in productivity. You will lead Proximity’s commitment to impact measurement, in order to better strategize future efforts and accurately represent these findings through dashboards, data analysis and visualizations. You will lead the team to deliver lean, real-time market intelligence surveys to monitor the rapidly changing on-the-ground situation and provide actionable insights to senior management team and internal team leaders. This is not your common monitoring and evaluation position - at times, you act more as an in-house management consultant, working with teams to synthesize business needs into key questions central to strategic decision-making. You will collaborate with leaders to drive incremental changes from a strategic level to an operational level.
The Social Impact Lead will be instrumental in Proximity’s efforts to become an industry leader in impact evaluation. You will bring a wealth of analytical experience and economics and business acumen to our forward-thinking organization. You will be an intellectually curious, tech savvy and a strategic leader with successful management experience.
Once You’re Here, You Will
- Lead and manage a team of 5 to 7 team members, coach them and equip them with effective research skills.
- Work closely with our senior management team and other stakeholders in designing the assessments
- Design and execute timely research studies, from research scoping, methodology design, data collection to analysis. This will include -
- Refining and implementing data collection methodologies and tools
- Developing systems and practices to efficiently deliver the results and effectively integrate findings into organizational processes and decision making
- Converting qualitative and quantitative data into reports and graphics
- Spend time talking to farmers and traveling in the field, once circumstances allow, to understand the fast-changing needs of farmers, including the impact of specific products and services. Develop insights and look for opportunities to maximize the impact of our offerings on farm households.
- Effectively communicate (written and orally in Myanmar and English) Proximity’s impact in a well-structured, articulate way to internal and external audiences.
- Engage with Proximity’s investors and partners around our impact measurement strategy and findings.
- Engage with internal stakeholders, from field staff to team leaders, to ensure that they understand the need and importance of impact evaluations and are aware of the impact methodologies
- Strong analytical skills with capacity to spot errors in data collected, clean data, index data and analyze data
- Curiosity with a keen ability to relate to farmers, field staff, research associates, managers and senior management and donors/investors
- Excellent communicator who can produce crisp, clear slide decks and present to senior management, donors and internal staff members
- Collaborative manager with the skills to build, coach and lead a team of 5-7 members
- Effective leader comfortable managing up, down and laterally and working with cross-functional teams
- Background in statistics or economics is an advantage
You’ll earn a competitive salary, with medical benefits, and incredible opportunities to develop your career. You can expect an annual impact bonus, an amazing office with the forward-thinking people and world-class training opportunities through Proximity School.
You’ll get to see more of the world, with the potential to attend conferences and events to keep your skills sharp.
And, ultimately, you’ll have the opportunity to change lives in Myanmar for the better, while doing groundbreaking work.
Proximity Designs is an award-winning social business in Myanmar. We design and deliver affordable, income-boosting products that complement the entrepreneurial spirit of rural families.
Launched in 2004, we’ve created Myanmar’s largest agricultural services platform — farm technology, advising and finance — to help small family farms be profitable. Across our platform, we’re now engaging with over 100,000 new customers a year, on top of the 550,000 we’ve already served. These families see an average of $250 annual income increase as a result — a life-changing amount for those living on less than $3 a day.
By using human-centered design, we listen, observe and learn from our customers. From this deep knowledge, we design and bring to market products and services to meet their changing needs. Today the scope of our network reaches nearly 80 percent of the farming population. We have customers in the Ayeyarwady Delta, Lower Myanmar, the central Dry Zone and the Shan hills.
If you are interested in joining us, please apply directly through LinkedIn with your CV and cover letter.