WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
JOB TITLE: Livelihoods Specialist
TYPE OF CONTRACT: International Consultancy Contract
UNIT/DIVISION: Myanmar Country Office
DUTY STATION: Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
DURATION: 3-6 Months (renewable) It is planned for the selected expert to be engaged for a total of 30 months over a period of 6 years. No individual engagement can exceed 11 months in any twelve-month period. The exact periods of engagement will be defined based on the progress of the project and performance of the individual. (Start June 2021)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The 2020 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to WFP is recognition that ending hunger is a critical first step towards global peace. WFP recognizes that one of the greatest contributions it can make to humanity is to provide a voice to the 690 million hungry people in the world. The Nobel Peace Prize gives us a platform to make their needs heard and to mobilize support for the assistance they need.
The Republic of the Union of Myanmar has received financing from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to implement a 6 years project named Resilient Community Development Project (RCDP).The Department of Rural Development (DRD) under the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation (MOALI) is the implementing Agency. The Main Implementing Consultant and its team of expert will be contracted to support the implementation of the programme in all its aspects.
The main outcome of the project is to improve standard of living and resilience of targeted communities through three outputs: (i) development of climate and disaster resilient community infrastructure; (ii) development of resilient livelihood activities for poor men and women; and (iii) strengthening of institutional and organizational capacity of communities and government. The project will adopt a proven Community-Based Development (CBD) approach to deliver community infrastructure and livelihood subprojects to 17 poor, vulnerable townships covering 791 village tracts and 2,942 villages with a population of about 1.8 million people.
Livelihoods Specialist will provide overall lead in collaboration with other consultants, SSPs, and PIUs in implementing livelihood activities of the RCDP ensuring sound market and feasibility assessments, appropriate technology and training, and strengthened linkages with stakeholders on market access and credit.
- Provide technical leadership in the development and implementation of the livelihood output, inputs of resiliency building mechanism for identified livelihood initiatives under the RCDP;
- Refine implementing procedures as well as preparation and delivery training and capacity building inputs to the Livelihoods Specialists, Livelihood Facilitators and Livelihood Groups in RCDP communities;
- Provide technical guidance in the overall design of the RCDP Livelihood output including scanning of market opportunities, identifying production patterns as well as the detailed implementation procedures and guidelines;
- In collaboration with the Capacity Building Specialists, lead the design and administration of all training inputs for the Livelihoods Specialists, Livelihood Facilitators and Livelihood Groups;
- Undertake consultations with relevant experts from project and organizations involved in CBD, resiliency building approaches and livelihood interventions in Myanmar and develop a network of resource persons and service providers who can be tapped to address the needs of RCDP livelihood groups/business units;
- Develop modules on developing market studies with livelihood groups and communities, technical and feasibility screening in coordination with key experts;
- Develop education materials and illustrations employing multi-media technology on market and sustainable resilient livelihood;
- Capacitate the PIU on livelihood development and market linkages;
- In coordination with the PIU and SSP, identify linkages to market opportunities and credit facilities; and
- In coordination with the PIU and SSP, organize knowledge and best practices learning events through inter-village visits, village and community learning, and market farmers exchanges.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture/Business/Economics or relevant discipline
- Preferably with a master’s degree in a related discipline
- 10 years professional experience preferably in farming, rural development, banking or microfinance for small business, poverty reduction including 5 years in developing countries
Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience in implementation of extension and outreach programs, including training of trainers and preparation of training materials
- Experience in donor financed projects
- Working experience in Myanmar and/or South East Asia is essential.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
25 November 2020, Midnight, Bangkok Time.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.