GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute .
Our entire handbook is public. You can find the details of our vision & direction , read about our Engineering Analytics team , and understand how our Quality team operates .A Brief Overview
You will be stepping into a new position in a new team as a Manager, Senior Manager , or Director of our Engineering Analytics team. The goal is to build and improve on our existing data capabilities while providing actionable insights and data intelligence to our highly productive, 500+ person Engineering Division.
You'll lead a team that garner insights from a broad range of metrics such as usability scores, code merge frequency, duration of pipelines, and code review times.
What you can expect in a Manager or Senior Manager, Engineering Analytics role at GitLab:
- Define the tools and process to deliver data-driven insights for the Engineering Division.
- Define and maintain the Engineering Division's data visualizations, guidelines, and standards.
- Ensure accuracy of Performance Indicators in the Engineering Division and all its departments.
- Drive efficiency of Engineering Division's dashboards and metrics.
- Author your team's quarterly OKRs and the project plans to deliver on them.
- Run Engineering Analytics agile process and stand-up.
- Plan Engineering Analytics's long-term tasks and align with Quality Department's direction and vision.
- Hire and grow a team of Engineering Analysts.
- Provide guidance and coaching to Engineering Analysts.
- Collaborate closely with GitLab’s Data team.
What you can expect as a Director role:
The Above Plus
- Align the day-to-day execution of the Engineering Analytics team to the top objectives of the company. You'll be responsible for making sure our top objectives are well communicated to the entire Engineering Analytics team.
- Collaborate closely with director peers across the Engineering Division. You'll sponsor healthy conflict amongst the team to resolve issues quickly, escalating only when all options are exhausted.
- Define roles, grow, and hire your teams for what is needed from the business in the next 3-4 years.
- Coach the Engineering Analytics team to work within our communication guideline and lead by example.
Projects you might work:
You will lead Engineering Metrics efforts and a team of Analysts that delivers key actionable insights into our business bottomline.
You'll be focused on providing metrics that show a story for our Engineering Division to act upon. You'll also narrow our performance indicators to focus on the most important metrics that coincide with the major themes of each of our Departments.
You'll collaborate with cross functional stable counterparts to develop more granular analyses that give deeper insights into the performance of our Engineering Departments and a deeper view into how each Engineering product group teams are executing .
You Should Apply If You
- Are self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Bring a track record of using quantitative analysis to generate insights, and drive better organizational decision making.
- Demonstrate a track record of solving scaling challenges and high growth optimizations with a positive impact on a business.
- Bring significant professional experience with hands-on SQL and relational databases.
- Bring some experience in a leadership position managing an analytics team.
- Have experience with Data Visualization Tools (E.g. Sisense, Looker, Tableau).
- Have experience with Data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake).
- Are a clear and concise communicator, able to convey complex business logic, and analytical recommendations to stakeholders.
- Bring proficiency in the English language, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Git and source control.
- Bring an ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- Will be able to use GitLab in the future.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You'll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service are encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
What it's like to work at GitLab :
The culture at GitLab is something we're incredibly proud of. You'll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe.
Some of the benefits you'll be entitled to vary by the region or country you're in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don't count the number of days you take off annually.
You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. We'll also help you set up your home office environment , pay for your membership to a co-working space and contribute to the travel costs associated with meeting other GitLab employees across the world. Also, every year or so, we'll invite you to our Contribute event .
Our Hiring Process And Compensation
The hiring process for this position typically follows six stages. The details of this process can be found at the bottom of our job family page. Our compensation calculator will be shared with candidates selected for a screening call.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $ 100,000-$235,000 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity . Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law . If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation , please let us know during the recruiting process .