The role will provide guidance to the Myanmar Red Cross on a more strategic level in processes, transfer of skills in strategic thinking and planning as well as coaching. Support to bringing all ongoing organizational development processes together, structuring processes, development of implementation strategies and a National Society Development Framework. In areas such as governance, management and leadership development, branch- and volunteering and Human resource development the most important role will be technical support and in linking the NS to movement supportive resources and coordination of movement partners´ support.
The NSD delegate will be based in Yangon with frequent travelling across the country as required.
Job Duties & Responsibilities 1
- Support rollout of MRCS Strategic Plan 2021 - 25 and further development of the operational plan. Provide technical support and competence development in strategic thinking and implementation strategy development as well as in change management-leadership in going from strategy to implementation in the ongoing organizational change processes.
- Assist MRCS to undertake any assessments of its organisational strengths and weaknesses as required and assist MRCS to review its roles and responsibilities based on the priority needs of vulnerable populations and the work done by government and non-government organisations to meet these needs;
- Counsel the management of MRCS in developing appropriate structures and systems to implement the strategic plan, including internal procedures, full participation of the Branches and the recruitment and training of staff and volunteers;
- Facilitate the process of developing and/or revising MRCS gender and diversity strategies and operational plans based on MRCS Strategic Planning Federation guidelines, Capacity Building Indicators and other tools available through Federation;
- Strategic guidance and technical support to MRCS in the development and implementation of a National Society Development Framework as well as to mobilize possible movement/ non-movement partners support.
- Support the NS in planning, coordination and linking of resources to further development within the area of Foundation and legal base such as the NS´s auxiliary role, reputation risk management, decentralization process, Accountability Framework development, Humanitarian diplomacy development, Review and implementation of policies and frameworks.
- Assist MRCS governance and management in reviewing its organisational structure, systems & processes, and explore the use of common Federation or external analytical tools where relevant.
- Assist MRCS in developing clear youth and volunteer recruitment engagement strategies and plans.
- Explore the opportunities for incorporating elements of “Youth as Agents of Behavioral Change” and gender & diversity approaches across programmes.
Job Duties & Responsibilities 2
- Support the NS in the development of a plan for governance, management and leadership development based on the OCAC and BOCA outcomes as well as support in linking and coordinating Movement technical resources and Movement partners’ support.
- Support the NS NSD strategy on NS sustainability which includes Finance development and Resource mobilization development with a specific focus on the decentralization process.
- In cooperation with the MRCS OD department and PNSs support further develop the OD technical workgroup as a forum for strengthened cooperation around OD issues and efficient use of available resources in areas where PNSs are involved e.g. branch, volunteering and HR development.
- Assist the National Society to identify locally available consultants (from other national not-for-profit and/or academic institutions) or other regional peers to develop skills and competencies of its senior and middle management in the area of governance support, financial and human resources management, project design, fundraising, reporting and communications.
- Based on MRCS the strategic plan, assist in facilitating the process of Co-ordinated Planning with Movement and other partners.
- Assist MRCS in learning from experiences of other National Societies operating in similar contexts and linked to various knowledge sharing opportunities in conjunction with the need for identified knowledge sharing across the region through discussion with regional NSD Coordinator.
Advanced university degree (master's or equivalent) in Social sciences, Management, International development or other relevant areas of study in organizational development is required.
- 10 years of work experience in humanitarian or development sector is required.
- 5 years of experience in the Red Cross Red Crescent is required.
- 5 years of experience in members- / volunteer-based organizations is required.
- 10 years of experience in managing/supporting organizational development processes including decentralization is required.
- 5 years of senior management experience in a non-profit organization is required.
- 3 years of experience of big emergency operations is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Be strongly founded in the IFRC concept of National Society development and dynamics is required.
- Expert in organizational renewal and organizational and capacity development in complex organizations is required.
- Proficient in strategy, policy and framework development is required.
- Proficient in change management and implementation strategy development is required.
- Advanced innovative thinking and analytical ability is required.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with sensitivity in a multi-cultural environment is required.
- Proficient in developing and coordinating networks and coalitions to accomplish goals is required.
- Proficient in gaining agreement from partners to support ideas is required.
- Proficient in report writing is required.
- Proficient in English including writing skills is required.
Competencies and Values
Accountability: commitment to RCRC movement; Diversity: treats all people with dignity and respect; Integrity and personal conduct, deals with people in an honest and open manner; Professionalism: demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter
Building trust: fulfils commitments and promises; Empowering other: Holds other accountable for achieving results related to the area of responsibility; National Society relations: Identifies National Societies’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Teamwork: Influences others in working as a team
Communication: communicate clearly and effectively; Innovation: Seeks actively to improve programmes or services; Judgement decision-making: consider positive and negative impacts of decision prior to making them; Managing performance: Judges accurately amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task
Building alliances: Promote collective responsibility, gains agreement from partners to support ideas; Influencing; Inspiration: Stimulates other to develop new ideas; Strategic orientation: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks.