Collabora is pleased to offer 2 to 3 paid internship positions for 2021 to work on Free/Libre Open Source Software upstream projects to improve software with real users.
We are a software consultancy specialising in bringing companies and the open source software community together. We combine years of open source software leadership with an understanding of the challenges that businesses, non-profits, and governments face. We bring deep technical expertise in system integration & architecture, graphics, multimedia, web engines, and communications to a number of market verticals, including mobile, IVI / automotive, set-top box / smart TV, and a range of other specialised embedded applications.
We are looking for students who are about to graduate and are ready to venture into development on a professional level.
Our ideal candidates are highly passionate and motivated to work on Free/Libre Open Source Software projects. We are keen to see existing contributions to any Free/Libre Open Source Software project related to our areas of specialisation, including participation in its community.
How does it work?
- we do continuous selection of applicants. This means that we will review each application on a case by case basis and we will make an offer to the earliest applicants who fit our requirements for the project that they are interested in.
- you will be mentored by one or more of Collabora's outstanding F/LOSS developers as part of one of our development teams
- Collabora has offices in Cambridge, UK and Montreal, Canada, but even if you live in one of those cities, you will be working remotely from home due to the Covid19 pandemic
- your start date will be any time in 2021 for a typical duration of 6 months
- your working hours will be from 30 to 40 hours per week
- your compensation, based on location and agreed hours, will be discussed during the interview process
- if all goes well by the end of the internship, our hope is that you will join Collabora as one of our full-time engineers
We would like you to propose your own project idea! It should be aligned with technology Collabora works on, provide a learning opportunity and it needs to something that can be realistically be accomplished in around 6 months, including time for learning, reporting, blogging or presenting.
If you can't think of anything or would prefer not to, don't worry, we will be thinking of interesting projects ourselves (we will update on those over the next weeks), and if you seem like a good fit it does not matter what your project proposal is or if it exists.
So what aligns with technology we work on? We do not usually work on desktop, mobile or web applications themselves, but on the infrastructure supporting them, which involves one or more of the following technical areas: kernel, embedded, multimedia, graphics, integration, packaging, web engines, system services, toolkits, and so on.
A look through Collabora's blog posts may give you a pretty good idea about what we work on https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/