Who We Are
Hornet enables the entire spectrum of gay life - casual meetups and lifelong relationships, political advocacy and personal expression, intellectual chat and silly memes. We are a space where every gay man, regardless of his relationship status, feels comfortable sharing his experiences, and building new ones with a community that understands and validates his life. Everyday, we strive to reimagine what a gay app can be, and how it can better serve our community. Our diverse team spans the world, bringing together a wide range of perspectives and incredible talent.
Hornet is looking for a Product Designer to join our growing team. With a huge user base across the world on multiple platforms, we need someone with a strong interest and capability in designing highly innovative and engaging user experiences. The ideal candidate has an eye for functional design and possesses technical skills to synthesize high-level concepts and ideas into concrete high-fidelity designs.
The individual must be able to iterate and develop multiple solutions at a fast pace while keeping a high standard of visual aesthetic. Less is more, and the user is always put first along with our company vision. We are looking for someone who is passionate, creative and enthusiastic, with an ability to fluidly adapt to new UX design patterns and problem solve in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
In this role, alongside our Head of Product and Senior Product Designer, you will be responsible for 5 key areas:
1. Product Orientation
- Deep understanding of our user base: GBTQ men from every corner of the world
- Understand the unique problems they face, how we will solve them, and the value we bring to them
- Your success will be measured by the success of key metrics within the product. You will work closely with our data engineer and growth team to understand user behavior, AB test performance, revenue-drivers and more.
2. Holistic Experience Design
- How will we delight? How gay can we take our product? How can we make our onboarding experience more effective? What will motivate users to have a higher level of commitment to the product? Etc.
- Taking designs from concept through to production
- Use your tool of choice to create prototypes at different levels of fidelity to illustrate and validate a concept before using engineering resources to build it
4. User Testing
- Get in a cadence to validate/refine ideas, collect new insights, and to assess the value of an idea or prototype before shipping it.
- Work with the Product, Growth and Engineering teams to run AB tests and measure their performance
5. Interaction and Visual Design on iOS, Android and Web
- Visual design: composition, typography, iconography, incorporating brand strategy, create and maintain a style etc, etc
- Interaction: underlying conceptual models, task flows, control layouts, etc
- Create simple experiences that support complex problems
What We’re Looking For
- 3 - 5 years designing consumer mobile experiences
- Proficient in Sketch, Principle for Mac, Zeplin, Abstract, InVision and Adobe Suite
- A strong visual aesthetic and experience designing within brand guidelines, as well as collaborating with the design team to evolve those guidelines
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates UX and visual skills in digital products
- A passion for design and continual experimentation, iteration and optimization
- A strong sense of ownership
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy
- Comfortable to work in distributed teams
Our team is distributed around the globe, with some central hubs in Los Angeles, CA, and in Cape Town, South Africa. However candidates from anywhere in the world will be considered and are encouraged to apply as we support fully remote work.