Job ID: 31302
Practice Area - Job Family: Democratic Governance
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 06/07/2020
Duty Station: Yangoon, Myanmar
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 2 year(s) experience, I-Master's Level Degree - 1 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Asia & the Pacific
Contract Duration: One Year with Possible extension
Myanmar has embarked on a major transition towards democracy, market style economy and peace. Myanmar has low middle-income status (LMIC) and is committed Under its Country Programme for the period 2018-2022, UNDP is striving to deliver on a large programme portfolio that is responsive to the main development challenges facing the country. The UNDP Country Office (CO) in Myanmar is a key interlocutor and advisor to the Union government on rule of law, civil service reform, parliamentary capacity and institution building. UNDP is expanding its programme at the State, Region and Township levels to ensure stronger institutions at all levels of government as well as broader civic engagement as part of the effort to build and sustain peace.
The Strengthening Accountability and Rule of Law (SARL) Project supports the Government of Myanmar to address low public trust in state institutions at a critical time in Myanmar's transition. Building on the clear initiative of all three branches of the Government of Myanmar to promote transparency and accountability, the project helps to strengthen institutional frameworks and capacities for good governance.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the SARL Project Manager, the Project Management Analyst supports efficient management and implementation of project activities, with a focus on the management and monitoring of project finances.
S/he will work in close collaboration with the Senior Project Officer and the Project Associate, liaising frequently with CO Programme and Operations teams. The position also requires frequent interaction with other project teams, government officials, technical advisors and experts, implementing partners, donors, beneficiaries and civil society to successfully implement the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Project management support
- Management and monitoring of project finances
- Provision of technical support and institutional strengthening to project partner organisations, particularly in the area of financial and operational management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Project management support:
- Assists formulation and design of the programme and preparation and revision of the SARL project Annual Work Plans (AWPs), including preparation of budget estimates and budget revisions.
- Ensures timely updating of UNDP´s results-management systems including ATLAS project management module. Ensure project management performance indicators for UNDP results system and financial/procurement/HR/asset dashboards are regularly monitored and corrective measures are implemented in a timely and effective manner;
- Provides regular analysis on project's operational performance including activity issues/risks, budget resources and expenditures, procurement, assets, and recruitment. Identify operational issues and proposes innovative solutions.
- Establishes an implementation calendar for SARL project team to monitor project events, contractors' delivery timelines, payment schedules, and logistical timelines.
- Ensures timely updating of UNDP´s results-management systems including ATLAS project management module.
- Prepares cost-sharing and other agreements; Monitors cost-sharing agreements; Supports resource mobilization efforts.
- Coordinates and oversees project asset list and facilitates timely actions for asset management.
- Supervises and manages project personnel and consultants, as assigned. Supports creating a motivating and professional work environment. Establishes performance objectives and ensures timely and appropriate feedback. Provides support to ensure optimum performance and professional development.
- Supports full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up. Supports effective implementation of the internal control framework.
2. Management and monitoring of project finances:
- Ongoing monitoring of project resource balances, expenditures and accurate use of funds, including ensuring income is allocated to the project and fully budgeted, and forthcoming expenditure can be met by available resources.
- Facilitates audit and spot check exercises, including by preparing documentation, liaising with auditors, providing clarification and ensuring the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Support preparation of regular analysis based on project financial reports in order to inform project management of any potential risks and support decision-making on financial issues.
- Prepare inputs for reporting, including donor reporting.
- Follow up on the internal expenditure control system including timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Cover for the Project Associate as required in preparation of requisitions, GLJEs, budget revisions, processing of payments, making travel and logistics arrangements, etc.
3. Provision of technical support and institutional strengthening to project partner organisations, particularly in the area of financial and operational management:
- Conduct capacity assessments of prospective grantees' financial and operational systems using UNDP's PCAT tool.
- Review partner organisations' financial submissions for grants, provides feedback for improvement; facilitates UNDP's disbursements of grants; monitors resource balances/expenditures.
- Support project implementing partners to improve their financial and operational management by conducting training and supporting preparation for audits and spot checks.
- Act as focal point for project partners' financial and operational issues. Oversee advances and liquidations through the HACT system, monitoring aging advances and taking action where necessary.
- Record findings from audits and spot checks of implementing partners, monitoring and updating action taken on the findings.
- Advising the project manager of any concerns regarding implementing partners' financial and operational management
4. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Designs filing system and ensures accessible, accurate and comprehensive filling and archiving.
- Identifies best operational management practices and proposes ideas for achieving operational efficiencies; Shares knowledge with SARL and other project teams; Promotes culture of operational excellence.
- Organizes trainings and learning events for project staffs on relevant topics.
- Facilitates preparation of knowledge products.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- 2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP's mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- 2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
- 2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- 2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
- 2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- 2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- 2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP's Goals
- 2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP's goals for a variety of audiences
- 2: Establishing effective client relationship
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgmen
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's or bachelor's degree in finance, business, accounting, public administration, development, or other relevant field.
- Two years' experience with a bachelor's degree (or less than two years with a master's degree) providing operational support for development programmes and projects in international organisations.
- A track record of progressively responsible project administration experience, with emphasis on hands on management of project finances, is essential.
- Experience in coordinating with a wide range of project partners, including government bodies.
- Familiarity with UN/UNDP systems for financial management and procurement preferred.
- Computer literacy is required: strong competence with MS Office applications (especially Excel) and web-based management information systems. Experience with ATLAS is desirable.
- Willingness to undertake regular travel, build partnerships with local actors, monitor project activities and propose corrective actions.
- Demonstrated strength in interpersonal skills and ability to work well in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
UNDP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Women are encouraged to apply the post.
Only those candidates in whose qualifications and experience the Organization has further interest will be contacted for subsequent interview(s). UNDP regrets its inability to reply individually or attend to telephone queries on the advertised posts.