Remote/Work from home locations: Australia, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Thailand, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore
Teach For All is looking for an strategic, proactive, and highly organized leader to join the Asia Pacific regional team as the Senior Associate - Regional Strategy and Operations Lead. This role sits at the center of our strategy and operations in Asia Pacific, and is focused on ensuring that team systems and communications are set up to strongly support the head of region and team in their work with Teach For All partners across Asia and the Pacific. This position reports to and works very closely with the head of the region in a ‘chief of staff’ type capacity, enabling the strategic execution of strategy, and effective coordination of team and partner engagement regionally and globally. The right candidate will demonstrate exceptional organization, communication, problem-solving, and project management skills. Internally, this role will be called Regional Strategy and Operations Lead, Asia Pacific Region.
The core responsibilities of this position include designing and managing strategic and operational systems that enable the head of region and team to work towards the Teach For All vision and 10-year intended outcomes in Asia Pacific, to track and steward reflections on progress, and to support informed adjustments to strategy and operations accordingly. Ultimately, this role is central to enabling strong, effective regional and global collaboration in the name of high impact engagement with our Asia Pacific partners, early stage entrepreneurs, external and internal stakeholders.
The Asia Pacific Regional Team
The Teach For All Asia Pacific team is a regionally distributed team with team members located across different countries in the region, including India, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore and New Zealand. The team works across one of the largest, most diverse and dynamic regions in the Teach For All global network, with 13 partner organizations in the following countries (in addition to several more prospective partner organizations in the pipeline): Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, China, Cambodia, India, Japan, Malaysia, Nepal, New Zealand, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. In the Regional Strategy and Operations Lead role, you will be at the center of a team that is working to grow and accelerate the impact of this community of partners, and generate awareness and support for Teach For All’s vision and mission in the wider region.
The Regional Strategy and Operations Lead will work towards the following:
- Progress towards Teach For All’s 25 Year vision and 10 Year Intended Outcomes in the Asia Pacific Region (with ownership over the systems and tools we use to align, assess, and reflect on this progress)
- Design and delivery of operational and communications systems that support the head of regional team to plan and execute high impact engagements with Teach For All partners and other key stakeholders across the region, including systems for stewarding effective cross-team collaboration with other Teach For All regional and global teams
- Stewardship of practices that enable continuous learning and that foster a learning-oriented culture on the regional team
- Drive a positive, inclusive team culture as measured by staff survey results with a particular emphasis on the extent to which staff feel they have the tools and systems they need to be successful, and they extent to which they feel connected to and supported by their peers
- Ensure accuracy in forecasting and management of the regional team budget that allow for informed budget allocation decisions that are strategic and resourceful given the teams’ goals, priorities and context and avoids significant under/overspend.
The Regional Strategy and Operations Lead is responsible for:
Developing and managing Asia Pacific team systems, operations, and communications (~40%)
- Supports the Head of Region in setting regional and cross regional priorities and manages up to ensure the team is on track to making significant progress against objectives and goals
- Supports the Head of Region to align her time and resourcing as well as central team time and resourcing with regional priorities and needs (e.g. resourcing of Wendy and others’ time in region, planning for head of region and Wendy visits and events)
- Supports the Head of Region in regional communications to the Asia Pacific partner community
- Designs and maintains systems that support effective and smooth operations of the regional team, including but not limited to systems for capturing and sharing progress & stories, streamlining and aligning projects and communications
- Develops and delivers on team communication systems to steward alignment, including but not limited to the scope & sequence of team calls and gatherings, the strategic use of asynchronous communication tools for alignment and project management (google docs, slack), and newsletters for sharing progress internally and externally
- Regularly manages projects including data analysis that strives to improve how the team functions and ultimately drives further impact in our support to partners
- Maintains big picture view of Asia Pacific regional needs, data, short and long term plans of support and evidence of impact
- Works closely with other regional and global team strategy and operations leads, proactively contributing learnings from the Asia Pacific region for cross-team learning and collaboration globally
- Serves as a liaison between the Asia Pacific regional team, internal regional and global teams, and partners in the region where additional context and support for effective communication may be necessary
- Supports team-wide administrative needs and develops systems for streamlining and improving this over time (e.g. database management for contact information, CEO birthdays, team-wide/cross-team calendar and scheduling alignment needs)
- Supports the Head of Region with team hiring, and leads on the planning process for onboarding new Asia Pacific team members
“Go to person,” integrator, and culture steward for the Asia Pacific team and region (~40%)
- Serves as the ‘center’ of the Asia Pacific team, working closely with the Head of Region to develop and execute strategy, supporting in particular the ‘central team’ of network engagement staff to maintain alignment and collaborate effectively
- Leads on development and execution of culture building strategies and activities for the team and region, integrated into team communications and in-person/virtual retreats
- Leads coordination within the Asia Pacific team and between the regional team and other teams, to steward alignment and identify opportunities for streamlining and collaboration (across the continuum of strategy to planning to execution)
- Maintains visibility across projects, engagements, and communications happening across the team and region, proactively stewarding opportunities for integration
- Brings robust understanding of the Asia Pacific context, history and culture necessary to consider as we think about and deliver on collective support
- Elevates the Asia Pacific team and region’s voice and stories of progress in cross-team and global communications and engagements
- Drives analysis of regional team data on organizational strength and works closely with the head of region and team to adjust internal strategy accordingly
Budget planning, management and forecasting (~10%)
- Supports budget planning and management, monitors and analyzes regional spend and supports the Head of Region in making decisions and recommendations on budget allocations when faced with competing priorities
Knowledge management (~10%)
- Builds and maintains systems that support knowledge and resource sharing within the Asia Pacific team, with partners and with other teams in the Teach For All organization.
- Responds to requests for information and proactively shares information strategically with team members and partners
- Analyzes regional data, reports trends and collaborates with the Head of Region and regional team to make data driven adjustments to regional strategy
The Regional Strategy and Operations Lead reports to the Head of the Asia Pacific Region, and collaborates closely with members of the Asia Pacific regional team and with other regional and global teams at Teach For All.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proactive, highly independent, and responsible, even when confronted with ambiguity
- Strong team player with ability to work with multiple stakeholders with different working styles, orientations and preferences
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and build systems to increase efficiency
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to identify trends, analyze data and problem solve effectively
- Ability to build relationships and communicate in a way that is sensitive to cultural and ideological diversity
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment, taking into consideration data, relationships, and context
- Ability to be fluid, flexible in thinking and open to change
- Deeply committed to the mission, vision and values of Teach For All
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on country of hire, prior work experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Candidates for this position must possess local work authorization in order to be considered.
Travel and Hours
Travel possible, approximately 5-10% mostly within the region with occasional travel out-of-region, when it is safe to do so and in accordance with local travel guidelines. Given that we work across different time zones, some non-traditional hours for early or later calls are an expectation of this role.
Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter directly online.