Under the direct supervision of the Senior Protection Manager (Rakhine), the Protection Team Leader (PNG) will be responsible for leading implementation of IRC’s protection activities and camp management support tasks in Ponnagyun.Protection monitoring and information dissemination activities will lead to 1) shared understanding of the protection environment among different actors; and 2) enhanced awareness of services and assistance available to all communities in the area of coverage.Camp management and coordination support will ensure 1) changes in site population are tracked; 2) vulnerable camp community members are identified and assisted appropriately; and 3) distributions and service provision are arranged in accordance with camp community member priorities and delivered professionally and accountably. Together, these goals support improved outcomes for vulnerable community members, as well as the improved coordination and prioritization of humanitarian interventions by international and local actors.The Protection Team Leader will work in coordination with the Protection Snr Data Officer and Information Assistant.S/he will also coordinate accurate and comprehensive weekly and monthly reporting.
This position is based on Ponnangyun Township, Rakhine State.
Major responsibilities of Protection Team Leader (not exhaustive) are listed below:
- Provide direct supervision and support to the Camp Management Assistants, including:
Regular review of data collected by the teams, and reporting systems;
Development of individual work plans and professional development plans for staff;
Regular review and follow up of case referrals and other associated action points for monitoring; and,
Support mobile teams’ access by meeting with relevant stakeholders and local authorities as required.
- Monitor and report on protection trends from the field on a regular basis.
- Lead efforts to ensure the smooth functioning of complaints and feedback mechanisms at relevant sites, and promote accountability of all service providers operating at relevant sites.
- Ensure the smooth and professional organization and implementation of service provision and distributions.
- Conduct required assessments, and support team members to conduct assessments, in a thorough, accurate, timely and professional manner that meets required quality standards.
- Develop and deliver trainings for staff on protection monitoring, rapid assessment, accountability and information dissemination modalities.
- Ensure effective planning of the work, in order to meet goals for protection monitoring and camp focal point responsibilities; and, oversee implementation of this work and ensure quality standards are met either through direct supervision or the appropriate escalation of issues to the Senior Protection Manager and the Senior Humanitarian Advisor for resolution.
- Ensure day-to-day logistical and organizational planning and preparedness of the Ponnagyun protection team, including liaising with the Supply Chain, Finance and HR departments as needed, and with the support of the Senior Protection Manager.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other INGO, UNHCR, government authorities, and other key stakeholders to ensure active coordination, collaboration, and information dissemination.
- Undertake other tasks as requested by the Senior Protection Manager.
- Bachelor degree, preferably in law, social sciences, social work, sociology, anthropology, political science or journalism (but other specialities are not excluded).
- At least three years’ experience in an NGO, preferably in social work, community driven development or sociological research.
Strong protection background and knowledge of protection context, as well as demonstrated ability to identify and refer vulnerable cases, is desirable.
Previous management experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience in regular report writing.
Demonstrated Skills And Competencies
- Belief in human rights including gender equality.
- Good communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and excel.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Capacity building and team building/motivational skills.
- Fluency in local languages of Rakhine State is required, some spoken and written English skill is desirable.
Myanmar nationals with relevant skills sets and proven experience of working at international level are strongly encouraged.