The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data (ACLED) Religion Project is a research project which records, publishes and analyzes disaggregated data on religious disorder and religious repression in a set of pilot countries. While the project is in the making, general information about ACLED can be found at . The data will be publicly available and aimed at being used for a range of purposes, from academic research on dynamics of religious disorder and repression to informing diplomatic policy, and humanitarian and development work.
ACLED-Religion is recruiting 6 Researchers to assist in the collection, review and management of religious repression data in Bahrain , Egypt , Iran , Iraq , Israel , Palestine and Yemen . Researchers must be available to work up to 30 hours per week . This position is fully remote and can be done from any location with reliable internet service.
Collection of data is conducted by reviewing news, international organization, NGO and security reports on the assigned countries, and recording the incidents of religious repression into an Excel template. Researchers will focus on coding events to provide holistic coverage of current religious repression, ranging from forced disappearances to threats.
Review and management of data involves ensuring the quality, consistency and reliability of the data produced. The role provides team members with experience conducting detail-oriented tasks, and producing and managing quantitative data.
Specific Roles And Responsibility
Candidates who are selected will undergo extensive ACLED training. The training consists of several exercises. Candidates' exercises will be scrutinized and only those who are performing at the required level will be retained as Researchers.
For those selected, the initial consultancy period will be from February 2021 to June 2021 . After this, continuation may be possible, pending performance and availability of funding.
Remuneration is 14 USD per hour.
Skills And Competencies
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- Familiarity with Excel (essential);
- Fluency in English (essential);
- Fluency in one or more of the following: Arabic , Hebrew , Farsi (depending on the country covered) (essential);
- Experience conducting desk-based research;
- Experience working to deadlines with limited supervision;
- A high level of attention to detail and ability to receive and incorporate feedback;
- Research focus or professional experience in media monitoring, religious violence and repression or related areas is a strong advantage;
- Familiarity with the political, societal and religious contexts of the relevant countries;
- Skills to produce quantitative and qualitative analytical pieces and visualization of data (preferred);
- Access to a computer, a reliable internet connection, email, and the Microsoft Office Suite.