At UL, we know why we come to work.
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
UL’s Identity Management & Security (IMS) division is looking to add a Senior Security Engineer - FIPS to our CyberSecurity Assurance department. This position can be remote anywhere in the world.
The UL FIPS Laboratory performs compliance testing to evaluate compliance of products to the Federal Information Processing Standard and prepares written evaluation compliance reports for submission to the validation authority. As a conformance tester, the Security Engineer must be must proactive and be able to work in a detail-oriented, deadline-driven environment.
What You’ll Learn & Achieve
Under the direction and guidance of the Program Manager, the Security Engineer will perform both billable and non-billable tasks required to evaluate cryptographic IT products in a Lead capacity. This includes
Duties Will Include
- Validation consulting
- Design specification review
- Conformance testing
- Report writing
- Status reporting
- Project management
- Advisory services
- Audit-related tasks
What Makes You a Great Fit
- Testing products while using port analyzers and debug tools including the preparation and execution of test plans, and generating the necessary reports documenting the test results
- Code review
- Project management and tracking (scheduling and meeting project objectives, milestones, and deadlines)
- Consulting the Lab Manager as applicable on all testing matters requiring clarification
- Supporting junior testers for assigned activities
- Participate as Lead Engineer on specific testing projects on an as-needed basis
- Supporting other Lead Engineers as-needed
- Performing testing activities on an as-required/as-tasked basis
- Conducting testing activities in accordance with all applicable standards and methodologies related to FIPS 140 validation
- Conducting internal and external training
- The ability to successfully work in a team environment coupled with the ability to develop creative solutions
- Cryptographic Validation Program (CVP) Certification is mandatory
- FIPS 140-2 validation experience as a Project Lead
- Successful completion of a post-secondary program, in a field related to IT security, computer science or engineering
- Knowledge of common programming languages such as C\C++, Java, etc.
- Knowledge of Microsoft, Linux, and Unix Operating Systems
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent writing skills – must be able to prepare written reports
- Excellent English communication skills, along with the ability to articulate requirements in technical and non-technical terms to customers, peers, and management
- Knowledge of cryptography, cryptographic algorithms, and communication protocols
- Knowledge of wireless communication protocols (e.g., Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC)
- Familiarity with IT test tools and techniques (e.g., Wireshark)
- Advanced knowledge and familiarity of FIPS 140-2
- Experience working in a regulated, accredited facility or environment
- Proven ability to work independently
- Some domestic and international travel will be required (approximately 25% of the time).
- Successful completion of a post-secondary program preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a technically related discipline plus two years of related experience. University Degree (equivalent to a bachelor’s degree) is preferred.
What You’ll Experience Working At UL
- Good presentation skills, proven experience in customer-facing advisory services, and technical expertise.
- Meets all customer demands and delivery requirements
- Acts as a UL representative in the customer’s environment
- Performs and prioritizes other duties as directed
- Consistently adheres and strives to perform all company duties honestly and ethically to UL standards with integrity
- Mission For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards An attractive Total Rewards package including a 401K match of 5% (when you contribute 7%) + an additional 4% company funded benefit after 12 months of employment. A strong commitment to corporate responsibility and sustainability efforts. All employees receive 2 Volunteer Days off per year to spend participating in an array of volunteer activities. Flexible working arrangements.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit our company page www.UL.com and division page ims.UL.comOptions
Apply for this job online Apply
Email this job to a friend Refer
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.