The USAID Responsible Investment and Trade Activity aims to promote civilian ownership of the Myanmar economy by increasing the share held by responsible, accountable and transparent firms. RITA will engage international and
domestic private sector firms and civil society actors across multiple sectors to facilitate deals and business partnerships, strengthen regional economic integration, and improve business accountability, transparency, and competitiveness. The project will use a facilitative ecosystem-strengthening approach that will increase trade and investment and improve corporate governance practices in Myanmar, supported by a $3.8 million Investment and Technical Assistance Facility (ITAF) that will allow RITA to deploy a flexible, tailored mix of pay-for-results subcontracts, grants, and technical assistance to partner firms. This structure facilitates our private sector engagement strategy, avoids market distortion, and prioritizes sustainability by building local capacity within the business ecosystem.
Summary of Primary Duties
The Responsible Investment and Portfolio Lead will lead all technical activities to increase international investment in local firms under Objective 1. S/he will identify potential early-growth partners and firms, especially those in the missing middle eligible for support under the ITAF or technical support to develop investment strategies that attract international investments. S/he will also engage with business advisory service providers to provide support in
identifying and developing investment strategies for local firms aligned with investors’ interests, developing pipelines of
potential firms, screen and validate opportunities, and help parties structure and negotiate transactions. This role will also leverage partnerships with business advisory service providers to identify ways for local firms to improve their access to supply chain opportunities with multinational corporations.
An ideal candidate would have completed a transaction of either buying or selling some large asset like a commercial building or a business or facilitated an investment or a large contract between two or among three or more parties.
• Build a network of viable local firms and business advisory service providers looking for international investment in accordance with RITA’s responsible investment and trade scorecard.
• Design technical support to increase capacity of business advisory service providers to meet needs of local enterprises
• Develop grants or contracts to support business support firms’ expansion of services in order to extend support to EMCA states
• Oversee a team to manage day-to-day ITAF partner activities, ensuring adequate technical support and success of the activities.
• Conduct activities with local corporations to promote research and investments that integrate sustainable supply chains, distribution networks, and services.
• Oversee technical assistance related to SME transaction advisory support
• Collect lessons learned and best practices from ITAF support and apply knowledge to new program designs.
• Conduct capacity building, training design, and institutional development as needed.
• Contribute to RITA’s contract deliverables, including work plan and preparation of annual and quarterly reports,
as well as ad-hoc USAID requests.
• A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, international finance, agribusiness, or a related field; an advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years of international experience in private equity, investment, and international trade.
• Experience working with international donor-funded projects, including USAID, highly preferred.
• Demonstrated leadership and strong management capacity, problem solving skills and excellent writing skills.
• English and Burmese fluency is required; additional fluency in a regional dialect a plus.
Level of Effort, Location and Reporting
The level of effort is 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project. The Responsible Investment Portfolio Lead reports to the Deputy Chief of Party. The position is based in Yangon, with travel to priority RITA states.
Select the position in which you are interested in applying for, fill out the required information and upload CV. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted soon. Please note, due to the volume of applications that we receive and the urgency to fill-up positions only shortlisted applicants will receive notifications on next steps. Positions are for Myanmar Nationals only.