Retailers use archaic, old systems that don't work (think fax machines and voicemails). We're replacing the core operational processes with a modern platform that our customers love. Help us transform a $4.4 trillion industry and improve the way millions of people work. Major retailers like Gap, Nike, LEGO, and Old Navy are already using Zipline every day, but there is so much more to do!
We are looking for another Rails Engineer to join our team as the surface area of our product and infrastructure continue to scale and keep up with rapid customer growth.
“I think I just shed a tear. This is great!” – One of our Fortune 100 customers
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on:
- Defining and improving useful APIs for our customers
- Architecting the ETL process for retail hierarchy data
- Coordinate with engineering teams at Fortune 500 retailers to support integration efforts
- Performance improvements at the database level
- Evangelize coding and performance best practices with the rest of the team
- Collaborate with the rest of the team on new features that customers will love
What we look for:
- You have significant relevant production experience with large scale rails applications
- You have great written and verbal communication skills.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion, and are outcome oriented.
- You have a strong understanding of systems architecture, database design, and the ruby language.
- You are proactive with communication and have no problem managing your time as a remote employee.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
Technologies you'll work with
- Ruby on Rails 5.2
- Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch
- AWS, Heroku, Ansible, Digital Ocean
- Intercom, Slack, Basecamp, Google Drive
- Remote: Join an effective remote team and work where you're comfortable.
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- 401K plan: Save towards your retirement tax-free.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Twice annual company off-sites in fun locations. We've done New York, Costa Rica, Whistler, and Palm Springs.
- Learning: Sponsorship of meetup and conference attendance.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard working, nice people who are committed to making a difference and have had past success.
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
We are a seasoned team of senior rails engineers. The 3 lead engineers on our team have a combined 25+ years of working with Ruby on Rails, and we are constantly refining our craft.
The whole team cares about quality, and it shows in the way that we work. We spend time together focusing on simplicity, patterns, and fundamentals. We invest in finding the right level of abstraction to build a system that's both flexible and powerful.
We care about each other. We go above and beyond to make sure that the things we build solve actual problems, not just that the test suite passes. We collaborate, work together, give direct feedback, and grow as a team.
100% Remote requires a level and method of communication that is different than an office environment. It requires us to be proactive, conscious, and to understand things clearly before jumping to conclusions. We strive for that on a regular basis and we're getting better every day.
Philosophically, we generally align well with DHH and Sandi Metz around code quality, levels of abstraction, and the approach to solving problems.
AWS|Ruby on Rails|postgres