GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute .
Thank you for your interest in GitLab! It’s an exciting time to join our team. GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute .
All of our positions are 100% remote.
A Brief Overview Of The GitLab Incubation Department
The Incubation Engineering Department within the Engineering Division focuses on projects that are pre-Product/Market fit. The projects they work on align with the term "new markets" from one of our product investment types . They are ideas that may contribute to our revenue in 3-5 years time. Their focus should be to move fast, ship, get feedback, and iterate . But first they've got to get from 0 to 1 and get something shipped.
Senior/Staff Fullstack Engineer : Server Runtime (Incubation Engineering)
Those in Single Engineer Groups (SEG) at GitLab work in the engineering department to initiate a planned or minimal maturity category into the GitLab project.
At GitLab, we believe in the power of a single engineer to accomplish amazing feats. Many open source projects started with a single engineer’s decision to build around a problem they personally experienced. For instance, Continuous Integration by DZ and GitLab Runner by Kamil . In single engineer groups, we create room for this energy.
A Few Benefits Of SEG Include
We can guarantee a higher rate of success by incubating ideas inside our larger organization and existing code base while limiting the negative aspects of friction that come from a larger organization.
- There are lots of decisions to be made, which happen more effectively in a single brain.
- There is not enough code for multiple people to work on without running into merge conflicts.
- Starting work earlier allows for more time for other people to contribute. We need to have a head start many years ahead of commercialization.
The Senior/Staff Fullstack Engineer working in the Server Runtime SEG will be tasked with create a cloud based development environment. This is different from our internal IDE and considered a brand new initiative. Similar products in this space include GitPod or Codespaces.
- Develop features and improvements in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Work closely with company leadership to guide GitLab’s entry into the market represented by the SEG
- Interact with community members and help drive initial user adoption
- Develop strategies for scaling beyond the Incubation phase
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Regularly demonstrate progress to stake holders
- You meet the requirements for a Senior Backend Engineer (or above)
- You bring strong technical skills and an ability to work across backend, frontend, and infrastructure management code. Experience with Ruby/Rails or Go, cloud development environments, and Vue.js are particularly relevant given GitLab’s current tech stack
- You demonstrate a desire to work in a “startup within a startup” with a broad scope of ownership and high degree of autonomy.
- You demonstrate an interest and experience in the subject matter. This means you're interested in building a cloud-based development environment within GitLab
- You must be excited about the ability to work independently, or have prior success in a similar "incubation" model
- You understand the competitive landscape and market opportunities in this domain
- You are comfortable with changing direction based on stakeholder feedback and market conditions
You'll Stand Out If You Bring Experience In
- Being a prior company technical cofounder
- Being an early contributor to a successful open source project
- Working successfully on a prior single-engineer group
- Extensive familiarity with the GitLab project and application
- Working with people around the globe
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.