- ● Are you interested in digital culture in Myanmar?
- ● Are you excited to coordinate research on social media misinformation during the 2020 election and beyond?
- ● Do you want to use your skills to collaborate with partner organizations and support marginalized communities in Myanmar?
Phandeeyar (“creation place”) is an innovation lab that is spearheading the use of technology to accelerate change and development in Myanmar. Phandeeyar invests in local technology startups, trains new entrepreneurs, and builds the pool of tech talent. Phandeeyar also helps civic and social entrepreneurs, CSOs, and independent media use technology to increase their impact and runs a co-working space out of its 10,000 square foot space located in the heart of downtown Yangon. Including Digital Rights Forum, Startup Challenge, and Accelerator Program, Phandeeyar hosted 251 events total in 2017 with more than 4,000 attendees.
Phandeeyar is looking for a talented Research Coordinator to work as a member of its in-house research team. The Research Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the Research Manager in maintaining relations with Myanmar partner organizations and conducting research on digital culture and social media trends during and beyond the 2020 election, with a focus on marginalized communities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist the Research Manager as part of the research team
- Coordinate research on digital culture and social media misinformation
- Supervise research associates in data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Compile research findings into high-quality research products and communication materials for multiple stakeholders
- Develop all materials that Research Manager needs for research, writing, and analysis
- Assist the Tech for Peace team in researching and developing materials on digital, media, and information literacy
- Identify and maintain links with national and international research and civil society networks
Highly organized – You’re a self-starter who takes initiative and can mobilize resources and solve problems. You can juggle multiple projects with limited supervision, often on tight timelines, and you have excellent attention to detail.
Sectoral experience – Experience working in social media analysis or social research projects with Myanmar civil society, think tanks or academia is essential to this position. Experience with research on marginalized communities in Myanmar would be a bonus.
Writing and analytical skills – You are someone who can write clearly and effectively, and create communication materials that convey complicated issues in an easy-to-understand format. You are able to independently conduct desk research and are able to easily read and understand academic literature.
Communications – You’re a good communicator with solid written and spoken skills in both Myanmar and English. Being able to produce high-quality written content independently in both Myanmar and English is an essential skill set for this position.
- ● Location: This role is based in Yangon. It may involve some travel around the country.
- ● Hours: Phandeeyar is itself a start-up. Many of its activities happen outside standard office hours (9 am-5 pm). You will need to work some evenings and weekends, however, there is a “time off in lieu” policy.
- ● Remuneration: Will be based on experience and qualifications and will be competitive for the sector.
- ● To apply: Interested candidates can submit Phandeeyar Job Application Form. Applications are seen on an ongoing basis.
- ● Note: We welcome all applicants including those from the Myanmar diaspora.
For more information please visit: