The engineering team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. We are remote-friendly, with engineers on our team working from home offices in Romania, Cyprus, New Orleans and more! Tell us where you'd like to work when you apply!
As a Software Architect, you'll be responsible for thinking holistically about the Smile platform. You'll build and design the foundation of Smile's future products, features and systems, paying particular attention to how they integrate for seamless, stable performance. You'll act as a technical lead for the team, mentoring and coaching software engineers to grow their own architecture skills.
- Become an expert on Smile’s APIs, be able to design, develop and extend APIs
- Provide structured feedback and work closely with product engineering teams
- Work independently or with our backend infrastructure team to create new features and enhance existing solutions
- Be involved in proof of concept projects for new tools and platforms
We currently power over 30,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 50 million customers, and serving 100k API requests / hour. Our primary deployment languages are Ruby on Rails, React & Ember.js, but as a team we enjoy learning new languages and technologies - so this list could change! We use Github, Slack, and HerokuCI to communicate efficiently and ship code every day.
You're an engineer who gets excited about turning ideas into reliable production code. You appreciate clear code that can be read by others and yourself 6 months down the line. You enjoy collaborating with other developers, and get excited about thousands of people experiencing a feature you shipped just minutes ago. You thrive on fast feedback loops & iterative development cycles. You've got experience working in a test-driven development environment and can help us adopt this approach at Smile.
What we’re seeking:
- Prior experience (5-10 years) improving the reliability of a SaaS product
- 5+ years technical experience in software architecture/systems design
- A capable engineer, with previous background building web or mobile applications
- Experienced in full stack development and software architecture patterns, able to understand how a wide variety of technologies and systems interact with each other
- The ability to build software systems given a set of technical designs
- An ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- A great communicator, comfortable explaining complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
Traits or experience we’d love to see (you don’t need them all to apply):
- Comfortable writing code in a few of Smile’s primary deployment languages (Ruby on Rails, EmberJS, React) and enjoys learning new languages and technologies
- Thrives in a cross-functional, collaborative environment
- Knowledge of secure coding practices and test driven development approach
- Interested in solving open ended business problems with a combination of technology and creative thinking
What’s it like to work at Smile.io?
We are a team of smart self-starters who build efficient and unique solutions to problems. You’ll be working with some amazing talent and you'll constantly be pushed to challenge yourself and improve your skills. This starts in the interview process, where you’ll be asked to show us your skills in real-time. It’s not an easy process, but we think you’ll find it rewarding and a great preview to what working here is really like.
As a team, we’re driven by these core values:
- Be Humble - think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
- Be Hungry - set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
- Be Human - show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We collaborate on everything. Our communication tools and our space are designed with this in mind - from physical areas to connect in comfort to Slack channels of all sorts, we enable you to reach out to those around you to make sure you have the information you need to make great decisions.
We know that Smile.io as a business is in constant evolution - the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career goals, hopes & dreams. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful business. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
saas|Ruby on Rails