Software Engineer - Backend
Plentina Lending, Inc.
Plentina is an early stage fintech start-up on a mission to serve the world’s emerging middle class with access to affordable credit. There are 4B underbanked people in the world, most of whom are in emerging markets that lack a viable credit infrastructure. We’re building new approaches to unlocking creditworthiness at scale for the world’s unbanked. Plentina was started by two Stanford graduates that are alums of tech and finance giants including Google, NASA, Bridgewater Associates, and Charles Schwab.
Plentina is seeking a Software Engineer for Backend that can quickly build, monitor, and maintain backend components. We’re seeking candidates who are comfortable with a high level of responsibility, taking ownership by designing and building independently, and fixing problems as they arise. Your strengths will be in server and data engineering, while you’ll also be able to provide auxiliary mobile app development support. You’ll collaborate with technical teams of our business partners on integrations and features. In addition to engineering tasks, you’ll use your backend expertise to support our privacy compliance efforts.
The Software Engineer will report to the technical Chief Executive Officer. What is expected in the role:
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about our mission to unlock financial services for the emerging middle class
- Strong sense of ownership of their work and its impact to our customers’ experiences and livelihoods
- Comfortable being part of a high risk / high reward startup environment as a member of our founding team
- Excellent debugging skills
- Responsible for designing, building, testing, iterating, launching, and maintaining server and data applications
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to quickly adapt to company learnings
- Implement best practices for data security and privacy compliance.
- Comfortable in being transparent in both the successes and setbacks of work
- Can embrace Silicon Valley business practices in Philippine operations
- 0-2 years of experience with the development, maintenance, and familiarity with deployments of server applications
- Experience working with with various declarative programming paradigms such as functional programming and object-oriented programming
- Familiarity with low-level programming concepts such as memory management, data structures and algorithms
- Skilled in working with *nix systems
- Familiarity building data pipelines
- Comfortable with coordinating with a cross-functional team
- Knowledgeable with versioning and change management with APIs
Experience that would be a plus:
- 1+ year of experience in a fast-growing start-up company, preferably in the fintech space
- Working with remote teams and US-based remote leadership
- Familiarity with mobile app development and cloud server applications
- Familiarity with data privacy compliance
- Experience shipping and maintaining machine learning algorithms in production
- Experience designing, implementing, and operating a production server backend from scratch
- Experience with different testing strategies to ensure quality of server applications
- Experience with client and cloud security
- Experience working with financial systems
Expected start date: ASAP