This Software Engineer in Test position for our Verify: Runner team is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere.
We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Software Engineer in Test at GitLab, you will be embedded in our Verify: Runner stage group. You’ll be responsible for expanding on our existing test automation frameworks and improving test coverage across a range of configurations for our GitLab CI execution agent. You will be working in Golang and Ruby.
Our Quality department members are able to develop deep relationships across the organization through working groups , team member resource groups , and " the Quad " (our take on the three amigos methodology). You likely will feel less siloed at GitLab than in other organizations you've been a part of.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary.
We are committed to your career growth. We have quarterly career development check-ins and ensure time and focus is set aside for learning activities. Additionally, we offer $10k USD per year Growth and Development benefit for those who want to further their growth with professional courses, programs, or conferences.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you can expect in a Software Engineering in Test, Verify: Runner role at GitLab:
Projects you might work on in our Verify: Runner stage group:
- As part of our Verify: Runner team you’ll work on test automation issues related to the Quality department, the Verify: Runner group, and the entire GitLab product. The work you’ll do will be transparent and open to the GitLab community .
- You’ll develop new tests and tools for our GitLab.com backend APIs and services, and low-level systems like geo-replication, CI/CD, and load balancing.
- You’ll identify and drive the adoption of best practices in code health, testing, testability, and maintainability.
- You’ll work with engineers to define and implement mechanisms to inject testing earlier into the software development process.
- You’ll configure automated tests to execute reliably and efficiently in our CI/CD environments.
- You’ll work with a Product Manager and with the wider product and development teams to understand how new features should be tested and to contribute to automated tests for these new features.
- You’ll work in an environment where we aim to have a 1:10 ratio of Software Engineer in Test to Engineers.
- As an SET, you’ll have the opportunity to become and expert in our CI product and contribute to its continued growth.
You’ll spend your time collaborating with a cross-functional team in which our Runner group is included. You could work on projects where you’ll be tasked with growing our test framework as we mature our Mac and Windows offerings and build out features like Sticky Runners .You Should Apply If
- You’ve got at least a few years of professional experience developing in Go.
- You have working knowledge of Ruby.
- You’re passionate about CI and the benefits it can bring to the software development lifecycle.
- You’ve got a working knowledge of Docker.
- You’ve worked with industry-standard CI tools like GitLab CI, Jenkins, Bamboo, or Circle CI for example.
- You’ve got experience with Git and its command line.
- You’re interested in growing your knowledge and skills in Test Environment Provisioning and Configuring using technologies like Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, GCP, or AWS.
- You’re comfortable with Selenium-based test automation tools like Capybara.
- You know about clean code and the test pyramid, and champion these concepts.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You’ll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service is encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
We’re aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we’re looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
Our hiring process for this Software Engineer in Test position typically follows six stages. The details of this process can be found on our job family page. . Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Remote-USCountry Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.Your Privacy