AM Trace has an immediate opening for a Sr. Epidemiologist (Lead Medical Scientist- SME) to support state and local COVID-19 Contact Tracing programs. No travel required. This position will begin immediately. Candidates must reside within Los Angeles County, California.
Background: The scale and complexity of the COVID-19 outbreak has underscored the need for prompt and effective implementation of evidence-based containment measures. Contact tracing is one of the interventions that has been used to effectively control recent pandemics (Ebola, SARS), and has shown to be effective against COVID-19 mitigation in South Korea, New Zealand and elsewhere.
Professionals across the country have become passionate about helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Compassion and empathy are key traits needed in candidates who are applying for AM Trace opportunities. Nurses, social workers, and those with a public health background are highly encouraged to apply to join our fast paced, dynamic, and remote workforce.
- Conduct data management and analyses for studies related to infectious diseases and/or critical illness of high national priority in the Epidemiology Sections, Critical Care Medicine Department, etc., including but not limited to the following diseases and conditions: critical illness, infectious diseases, emerging antibiotics, comparative effectiveness of new and existing therapies using observational design, clinical outcomes research in antimicrobial resistance, sepsis and most recently COVID-19
- Work collaboratively at the level of co-investigator with senior scientists; support other personnel including data managers, computer scientists, biostatisticians and technicians.
- Participate in the formulation of hypotheses, study design to inform dataset structure and monitoring quality control of data collection.
- Research and review literature to retrieve targeted clinical or scientific information from publicly available resources, such as PubMED, National Library of Medicine, and other government publications (e.g., the Center for Disease Control various survey response databases) and other resources.
- Participate in conferences/meetings when statistical input is required. Conferences may involve intramural investigators from other Institutes, and/or other federal agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control and the Food and Drug Administration.
- Use electronic medical record data (Center Health Facts Database, Hospital discharge datasets maintained by Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and Premier as well as registry data) for creating analyzable datasets for testing hypotheses related to prevalence and risk factors and outcomes for selected diseases of interest.
- Review assembly and accuracy of gaps in clinical and microbiologic datasets to be used for epidemiologic analysis and assess and adjust for missing data
- Analyze specified study cohort with relational database management systems (DBMS) and adjust based on investigator feedback and analytical needs.
- Interact with epidemiology, laboratory and clinical personnel to coordinate ongoing studies as well as extract and analyze relevant information.
- Utilize knowledge of data structure and various programming languages (SQL, SAS, R) as applied to epidemiology or infectious disease research for the above tasks; present results in tabular and graphical format using appropriate language.
- Contribute to manuscript preparation including drafting of methods and analysis and online supplement sections with detail relevant to data curation and assembly as well as epidemiologic design with opportunities to lead the analysis of a study.
- Perform troubleshooting, interpretation of results and analysis.
- Contribute to project management for projects within the Epidemiology Section.
- Organize, maintain and coordinate research projects relevant to epidemiology; interact with all levels of staff and communicate with outside collaborators in the US and abroad
- Coordinate and participate in meetings and conference calls between PIs, contractors and other collaborators, includes taking and posting minutes on the web-portals.
- Gather and harmonize data from different centers, transfer data between software, dataset creation (including merging and/or concatenation), data cleaning (identify and correct data entry errors and/or missing values) and data transformation (create and categorize variables; impute data).
- Facilitate biospecimen acquisition, shipment, storage, tracking and distribution.
- Monitor progress of laboratory or pathology analyses
- Manage IRB submissions for study protocols; ensure compliance with IRB requirements and deadlines and study protocol content update or revisions.
- Provide cross-tabulation descriptive analyses using standard statistical procedures.
- Complete technical writing including co-authoring of articles for journal submission, prepare articles for submission, prepare bibliography using software such as EndNote
- Present data by preparing charts, tables, and graphs, using software such as PowerPoint, Excel, Sigmaplot, or Origin that can be used for scientific monographs, book chapters, articles and professional presentations (including poster and oral presentations).
- Research and review literature to retrieve targeted clinical or scientific information from publicly available resources, such as PubMED, National Library of Medicine, and other resources as needed.
- PhD in Epidemiology, Public Health
- Minimum of ten years of relevant research experience.
- Excellent scientific writing and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, critical thinking, analytic, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, meet deadlines, perform and prioritize multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Experience with statistical analysis of observational study data.
- Full proficiency in use of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), EndNote, and statistical software programs (SAS, Stata, SPSS, Epicure, SEER*Stat, or related program).
- Experience with research protocol design/writing, a record of peer-reviewed publications.
External Company Name: AM LLC
External Company URL: http://www.appliedmemeticsllc.com/