This Technical Writer or Senior Technical Writer position is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're one of the world’s largest all-remote companies, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Technical Writer at GitLab, you will be responsible for ensuring that the documentation for all of our products is clear, correct, comprehensive, and easy to use.
We are looking for great writers with strong technical proficiencies to help our users succeed with our rapidly evolving suite of DevOps tools .
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What You'll Do In This Role
- You’ll continuously improve GitLab’s documentation content in collaboration with engineers, product managers, and others.
- You'll review and edit content for all new and enhanced features.
- You’ll produce content for using GitLab features, including contextual content that clarifies why and when a user might use a feature or workflow.
- You’ll help developers and other members of the community who have documentation-related questions.
- You’ll identify and address content gaps or the need for additional media such as diagrams or videos.
- You’ll participate in reviews and revamps of section or page content and structure.
- You’ll help review and triage incoming suggestions, corrections, and other content from the GitLab community.
- You’ll help review and create UI text, such as field labels and error messages, in our product.
- You’ll continuously improve the GitLab documentation site features and user experience in collaboration with engineers and other technical writers. These efforts might include the documentation site’s design, search, build process, feedback methods, SEO, visitor analytics, versioning, and other technical components.
- You’ll contribute to the improvement of team process and style, as well as cross-functional efforts.
- Senior Technical Writers will plan and complete large content initiatives, such as section reviews and revamps.
- Senior Technical Writers will plan and lead documentation site feature enhancement initiatives & work with UX Researchers and Product Designers to identify contextual content & documentation opportunities in the product
- Senior Technical Writers will also mentor newly hired technical writers, lead projects when pairing with other technical writers, and plan new cross-functional efforts.
You Should Apply If You Have
- Experience writing, editing, researching, and planning software documentation.
- Excellent skills in grammar, minimalist documentation design, and effective information architecture.
- Great teaching skills that translate into amazing written work.
- Experience using the Linux shell, command-line Git, HTML/CSS, and/or at least one programming language (does not have to be in a professional context).
- Experience using static site generators and managing docs as code.
- Experience with some of the following:
- Using or documenting DevOps tools
- Advanced programming or other technical experience
- Using GitLab
- A rapidly scaling start-up environment
- Remote work; especially in collaboration with others across countries and time zones
If Applying To a Senior Role, You Should Have
- Extensive experience as a technical writer.
- Experience producing documentation for a variety of products and services.
- Some experience planning and leading major initiatives, such as the launch of new documentation resources, large-scale documentation reviews and revamps, and cross-functional initiatives.
- Experience with static site generators, managing docs as code, and the nuances of differing markup standards and rendering engines.
- Experience establishing processes used by teams across an organization in support of documentation.
- Demonstrated use of data in evidenced-based decision making.
- Experience with DevOps tools and some degree of frontend or backend engineering.
- Excitement about our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency.
- Ability to thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service is encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap . You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Technical Writer position typically follows five stages. The details of this process can be found within our job family page .
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.