Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Manulife is looking for an experienced Senior Underwriter to join the Myanmar New Business and Underwriting team. Working primarily with Agency and Banca Distribution channels, this position is accountable for equitable and sound underwriting decisions for all New Business insurance applications. The role will also provide supervision for underwriters to ensure quality, fairness, and timely processing.
- Have dual responsibility to underwrite/support the risk assessment of applications and to act in a leadership role for underwriters.
- Be assigned the most complex/high face amount cases and act as the underwriter on those cases, and support other underwriters through second signature.
- Maintains a strong working relationship with all kinds of the sales team in order to support them so that we understand each other on practices and procedures.
- Underwrite the life insurance applications according to company underwriting guidelines
- Handle customer enquiries related to the submitted applications in a professional manner
- Follow through the New Business admin procedure and workflow to ensure meeting committed service turnaround
- Provide ITC (Initial Training Course) training Manage underwriting related projects Perform all other duties as requested or assigned.
- Degree holder preferably in medical (Medical Doctor) related discipline. Prior experience in life insurance industry, the medical field, underwriting or claims is preferred.
- Excellent, more in-depth knowledge of medical impairments (interplay must be clearly understood), non-medical aspects such as financial, avocational, occupational, geographical/political risks and their impact on mortality/morbidity.
- Excellent knowledge of insurable interest and financial underwriting principles.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to influence and negotiate with both agents and clients.
- Excellent decision making skills, able to rationalize the whole risk and come up with the proper decision based on the merits.
- Comprehensive superior product knowledge.
- A sound knowledge of the various business structures, the company accounts including balance sheet, profit and loss accounts.
- Able to make a basic analysis of financial evidence such as tax returns, company accounts and arrive at a decision.
- Fully understand the types of business insurance needs and the basis to financially underwrite risks.
- Ability and skill to underwrite large amount cases including High Net Worth (HNW) products.
- Ability to analyze business accounts and intelligently apply the information to the assessment of the financial risk.
- Computer literate in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to give professional presentations to groups of agents on various underwriting topics.
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of March 31, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.8 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.