Requisition ID: req10117
Job Title: WPE Manager
Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Loikaw, Myanmar
The position requires a personal commitment to advancing women’s issues and working on behalf of women and girls in the community. The WPE Manager will be responsible for the ensuring the overall technical quality of the program and partner, and the integration of gender and GBV mainstreaming minimum standards in WASH, nutrition and health programing. Through training and supervision of WPE staff and partner staff, and coordination with cross-sectoral actors in Kayah, the WPE Manager is responsible for ensuring program interventions are safe and accountable to women and girls and GBV service delivery adheres to GBV guiding principles including confidentiality, safety, non-discrimination and respect for the self-determination of GBV survivors.
The WPE Manager will coordinate with IRC and partner staff to design and monitor program interventions. Together with WPE Roving Technical Specialist, the WPE Manager will build capacity for partner organization staff on gender mainstreaming, IASC guidelines, women’s empowerment and leadership, GBV response and prevention and support information collection, coordination and advocacy related to women issues, GBV response, health and other essential services for women and girls.
Key Objectives Include
- Represent the IRC WPE program as a GBV technical expert; advocate, and liaise on all Gender Based Violence issues; provide technical support to partner, and/or cluster, and capacity building for the Kayah humanitarian community.
- Together with Roving Technical Specialist, coordinate, plan, and technically supervise partner staff to ensure program quality
- With partner organization, adapt and update referral pathways and procedures; create IEC and train IRC and partner staff to disseminate referral information at a village level; lead coordination and advocacy efforts with health, psychosocial, security and legal service providers and community leaders; Coordinate with IRC and partner health programs to ensure quality health referrals for GBV survivors.
- Provide technical guidance to humanitarian actors in Kayah on GBV minimum standards and IASC Guidelines
- Coordinate deployments to the village to train VDC, WASH and Health communities, women and girls and community leaders on engaging women and girls to ensure accountability of cross -sectoral program interventions; gender mainstreaming, community mapping and safety audits
- Together with M&E and partnerships, develop and oversee the M&E systems, develop tools and ensure data collection and quality are on track.
- To contribute to the country-specific GBV strategy and contribute to positioning IRC as a strong GBV player in Myanmar.
Technical Quality and Supervision
- Coordinate all work and supervision time with partners and WPE Roving Technical specialist to ensure quality
- Provide guidance and technical support to key implementing partner through regular field monitoring visits.
- Develop capacity building plans for individual partner staff and community workers
- Support WPE Senior GESI Officer to design gender mainstreaming workshop to reach targeted villages
- Together with WPE Roving Technical Specialist, develop Women’s Leadership training curriculum and design a TOT training package for target villages.
- Support partner staff to provide basic case management and psychosocial activities for survivors of GBV according to the Interagency GBV Case management Guidelines
- Support partner establishment of WGWCs (safe spaces), capacity building of staff and scheduling of activities according to the desires of women and girls and including life-skills sessions with adolescent girls on menstrual hygiene management, nutrition and WASH.
- Support partner organizations to oversee outreach activities designed to provide communities with information on where women and girls can access GBV services.
- Support WPE Senior Officer to conduct GBV attitude, knowledge and skills assessments for partner staff to demonstrate capacity
- Provide technical capacity building and training to key partner organizations and other actors in Kayah State
- Ensure all training materials and plans are aligned with IRCs global and contextually adapted guidelines
- Ensure response work with survivors, including case management and psychosocial interventions, adheres to best-practice principles when working with survivors of GBV.
- Ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy.
- Provide training and capacity building to other IRC and partner departments in conjunction with department managers.
- Ensure safe collaboration and referral between and to other agencies as necessary, particularly with cases involving minors and high risk perpetrators.
- Assist with recruitment for staff that will work for the WPE program
- Ensure positive relationships with IRC and partner staff
- Supervise, and provide performance management feedback for Kayah WPE team members
- Identify and communicate capacity building needs for overall program implementation
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
- Prepare and maintain/update detailed work plan(s) in coordination with partners that support and achieve program activities.
- Manage and monitor expenditures and budgets to ensure that all spending is in line with approved spending plans and timelines
- Work with the WPE Roving Technical Specialist, the Partnerships coordinator, M&E and partner staff to ensure program documentation system is adequate.
- Analyze information coming from the field to share with the WPE Roving Technical Specialist and to improve quality and effectiveness of activities.
- Undertake regular monitoring and evaluation of activities to assess progress, identify issues, collect information, and document lessons learned.
- Regularly consult with the community, and improve upon program activities and approaches in partnership with partner staff and community workers.
- Provide accurate and regular narrative reports, as well as document results and maintain detailed records of program activities for timely submission, as required by IRC policies.
- Support drafting of program semi-annual/annual donor report as required.
- Support drafting of program briefing materials, and respond to requests for program information from IRC Regional Management, IRC HQ, donors, Myanmar Government and others
- Contribute to develop of concept notes, proposals and strategic plans related to the WPE sector in Kayah.
Coordination and Representation
- Coordinate with supply chain team to ensure transportation for survivor for lifesaving case management
- Coordinate cross -sectoral deployments for capacity building at the village level training to ensure the engagement of women and girls and advocacy efforts for IASC and gender mainstreaming objectives; Ensure partner coordination in NGCAs.
- Liaise and coordinate with other UN and NGO partners, ministry departments, local authorities, and beneficiaries in planning, response to the program and participating in international events.
- Liaise regularly and work closely with program, operations and finance staff in Kayah/Yangon to coordinate program planning.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with relevant stakeholders including key implementing partner and community leaders. Regularly attend GBV sub-cluster meetings in the field as well as other cluster meetings as appropriate.
- Consistently monitor/assess the safety and security of the WPE team, promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the WPE Roving Technical Specialist and other IRC senior staff.
- Work closely with IRC operations staff to ensure timely and compliant program implementation and expenditures.
- Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with IRC Operational policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Social Science, Public Health, Humanities or other related field, desirable.
- At least three-four years of experience managing programs; experience in direct service provision or managing programs that focus on violence against women, gender equality and women’s leadership
Demonstrated Skills And Competencies
- Commitment to learning and taking initiative to ensure programming reflects best practices and is adapted to contextual needs.
- Clear understanding of gender equality, human rights, and issues surrounding violence against women and girls
- Strong coordination and partnership skills; knowledge and best practice around partnership principles
- Positive and professional attitude, including ability to lead and work well in a team setting as well as work with implementing partners
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients
- Knowledge and experience with community outreach and mobilization
- Ex perience facilitating trainings and workshops and mentoring others
- Experience living and working in a high pressure and provide positive track record of adapting to sensitive contexts
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks, and maintain attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English, Burmese and local languages preferred
Myanmar nationals with relevant skills sets and proven experience of working at international level are strongly encouraged.