We are looking for an experienced candidate to fill the role of Head of Programme for DRC in Myanmar.
Who are we?
DRC has been responding in Myanmar since 2009, as both DRC and since June 2012 broadened its presence via the Danish Demining Group (DDG) - DRC’s division for Mine Action. DRC is currently engaged in responses in Rakhine, Kachin and Northern Shan.
DRC's response is targeting displaced and displacement affected communities and other vulnerable communities in some of the most deprived areas of Myanmar. Key activities include protection (including Child Protection, Gender Based Violence, and Protection Monitoring), Camp Management, WASH, Livelihoods, Shelter and Mine Action.
DRC/DDG Myanmar currently employs over 377 national, 34 international staff and operates from six operational offices. DRC’s main office is in Yangon; the main donors of DRC in Myanmar include ECHO, OFDA, UNICEF, UNHCR, DANIDA, SDC, DFAT, LIFT, USAID, DFID, EC and private donors.
About the job
The Head of Programme manages the Programmes Unit in Yangon and coordinates closely with Area Managers in each of the field sites, along with technical staff. The position, which reports directly to the DRC Country Director, is a key role on the Senior Management team and is expected to act as Country Director during gaps or absences. The Head of Programme is responsible for the following:
- Responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation. Ensures strategic coherence and vision of the whole country programme, based on active participation in the drafting of the DRC/DDG Strategic Programme Document and as part of the Senior Management Team
- Provides technical expertise to the entire country operation and ensures the Myanmar Country programme portfolio is executed on time, on budget and delivers the expected outputs, outcomes and impact
- Ensures a strong and consistent DRC technical representation in the Yangon based Humanitarian Architecture (clusters, technical working groups, ad-hoc programmatic groups, etc.)
- Ensures DRC maintains and builds strategic relations with our current and potential donors (formal and informal communications)
- Line manages the technical coordinators for each sector, the grants management department, the monitoring and evaluation department, and actively participates in recruitment of technical staff in the areas where the implementation is taking place.
- Ensures close liaison on programmatic issues with the current programme donors beyond contractual reporting requirements.
The Head of Programme position is based in Yangon, with regular travel and field visits.
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- Min. 7 years experience within a similar role overseeing a complex emergency and development programme - preferably working on displacement issues
- Min. 5 years management experience, of which at least 3 should include management of a portfolio of programmes across multiple sectors and locations.
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Strong experience in programme development and proven program development abilities with key donors
- Proven experience of representing externally to key stakeholders, including donors, embassies and clusters.
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning processes
- Experience of managing systems and tools to oversee complex project portfolios across different sectors and locations as well as within consortiums
- Relevant University Degree, Masters or post-graduate in international relations, Humanitarian Programs Management, degree, political science, international development and/or similar field
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Full proficiency in English is required.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant with 5 months contract. Proposed start date is 23 March 2020 (latest). Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level E.
The position is based in Yangon, with regular travel and field visits. Please note that Yangon is a family duty station, however the position is unaccompanied.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages), in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Application deadline: 30 January 2020
Please note that applications will be reviewed continuously and interviews will be planned as soon as a suitable candidate is identified - so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC remains a right to close the vacancy once a suitable candidate is identified.
Need further information?